Thursday, September 19, 2013

What Do You Read While Driving?

A newspaper? (as I observed a man doing on I-55 South heading to Memphis)

A napkin? (as I observed someone writing on while driving in the rain on I-270 in St. Louis)

A magazine? (as I observed a man on a moped doing in Costa Rica)

A Facebook post?
A tweet?
A text?
An incoming call's phone number?

It's National Child Passenger Safety Week, and until now, I never knew that. Until today.

I don't text while driving, but I do talk on the phone on speaker. But even that is distracting.
Just looking down to pick up the phone and hit talk.
One, two, three seconds.
That's all it may take for a boy to chase his ball out in the street.

But today, I watched a man in front of me, dropping to 15 mph below the speed limit while he visibly tapped away on his phone while driving. Texting.

It is frightening. It is selfish.

So I decided to make a pledge on behalf of my family.
I'm driving phone-free.

I can't think of any reason I should be distracted and risking the lives of my children and everyone else on the road.

But these "Faces of Distracted Driving" and the three little faces of my daughters in my rear view mirror are my reason for choosing to be phone-free.

1 comment:

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

I don't read while driving. But I do leave my phone on. My car has blue tooth built in, so if my phone rings (and it happens to be one of my children calling) I can answer from the steering wheel without taking my eyes off the road. For the most part, though, I am phone-free while driving.

Copyright 2011 Zook Book Nook | Designed by: NW Designs