As a young woman, I cast my 'invincibility cloak' over my mother's shoulders as well as mine.
As an adult, I understood the grief of losing my father to cancer.
As a mother, I find it difficult to breathe when I imagine the future without my mother and my daughters' future without me.
I'm not a hypochondriac. But as I begin to take back my body by exercising, eating right, and taking the best vitamins in the market, I do wonder what are my risks.
And so I stumbled upon a website that hosts a questionnaire to assess a person's risk for the top diseases affecting us today. So if you happen to be asking yourself the same question I did: "What is my risk of disease, be it breast cancer, heart disease, diabetes, etc?" then I hope this questionnaire may help you to find your answer.
So far, I'm below average at risk for breast cancer and osteoporosis. Great news, right?
But I'm not invincible.
Gone are the days from when I was in my 20's and slept in a casita with scorpions under my covers, tarantulas on my pillows, and mice pooping on my pillow during the night.
Gone are the days when I could eat a few slices of pizza and not see the immediate addition to my mama belly.
Gone are the days when I dreamed that we could all live forever and that I'd never have to say goodbye to loved ones.
But there's no use worrying today about tomorrow. And as Ben Franklin once said, "keep in the sunlight," and I don't think he was talking about getting our daily dose of Vitamin D to reduce our risk of disease.
Do
not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never
happen.
Keep in the sunlight.
Benjamin Franklin
Benjamin Franklin

1 comment:
I have noticed that every time I move in a positive direction, my first instinct is to worry more. It's like when I'm not taking care of myself, or wasting time, or being negative... it preoccupies my brain in a way that I don't consider what's at stake. Does that make sense?
ps- if you get an email unsubscribe notice from me... I didn't unsubscribe. I added you to my Feedly. :)
Post a Comment