Sunday, October 9, 2011

Staying Positive

My husband's ship is due to return before Halloween after being deployed for six and a half months.

With the excitement of his homecoming plus the approaching birth of our baby plus the anticipation of holiday season, one would think that I would find these last few weeks easy and joyful.

But they're not. They are the hardest weeks of the deployment.

I just really miss my husband a lot.

I've tried really hard to be strong during this deployment, even at the worst moments like when my girls and I were sick for a week straight throwing up during the night and all day long. We made it through those rough times, and I know we'll get through these final weeks.

But for the first time during the deployment I am finding myself in tears, wanting my husband home. Why is the end of deployment so difficult to get through? I can only guess it's because all of the emotions, all of the dreams, all of the plans, and all of the hopes I have inside of me are all mounting together.

My daughters keep saying every day how they are going to give their daddy so many hugs that he won't be able to put them down. I think they feel it, too.

So to give myself a pick-me-up today, I am going to create a list of the Top Ten Reasons to Stay Positive!

1. Weeks are mere seconds compared to months.
2. One can never have enough pumpkins or pumpkin seeds.
3. The vision of my husband's ship approaching from the horizon will make me feel giddy and tingly.
4. My girls twirl and shriek and go berserk every day when we talk about Daddy coming home.
5. Our baby girl will arrive less than one month after her daddy gets home.
6. My 33 week pregnant body is starting to finally cool off in this fall weather.
7. My parents are the most incredibly strong, supportive, and loving parents I could ever have.
8. My sisters make me smile every time I think of them.
9. My daughters finally sleeping in until 5:30a.m. for three days in a row now.
10. This:




and this



and this



and this





and this



and this




and this





and this

My 3-year-old's drawing of us on the day of Homecoming!






27 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such a wonderful, emotional essay today. The photos are just great, but, your three year old's drawing is just incredible. Good luck these last couple of weeks and Happy Homecoming to all of you.

Alison said...

I can feel your excitement Kim!! So glad it's now weeks instead of months.

Anonymous said...

I love you, Kimmy!! ~ Julie

Angela Brown said...

I am so excited for you and your family. Such a wonderful list. I pray your homecoming is more than you ever imagined :-)

Jen said...

I love this! Love all of your pictures! Glad you're finally cooling off. You have a beautiful smile :)
And 5:30 is sleeping in? Yikes!!

Stasha said...

This made me cry. In a good way, a happy cry. I am so happy for you all. I remember last few days before my Husband returned from Iraq were the longest of my life. But it was just the two of us, so nowhere close to comparing.
Just so you know the word verification for this comment happens to be pulitzer. That should make your day :)

Sarah Tokeley said...

Hmm...33 weeks pregnant and you haven't seen hubby for six months? Nope, can't think why you'd be emotional ;-)

Those pictures are wonderful, especially the drawing.

The Aums Mama said...

Now you've gone and made me cry...I'm counting down the days too! Beautiful post. I hope he reads it someday.

Kiddothings said...

Oh Kim, this made me weepy. I'm so excited for you. You've written a beautiful post here and the pictures are just wonderful to sum it all up. That's such a great picture of you and your hubby.

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful. I love what you wrote and all of those sweet pictures. I'm so glad your reunion (and childbirth) are only weeks away now!

Barbara said...

Such great pictures! I'm so excited for you that your hubby will be home so soon!! And even better that he will be here for the arrival of the new baby!! I hope the next few weeks fly by!

Galit Breen said...

Oh this made me teary! (All sorts of it!)

I love your list and am sending you all sorts of pumpkin and twirling thoughts!

XO

Jackie said...

Kim! I am so excited to see the countdown into weeks. You captured so much emotion in this post, I can't even imagine how it is in real life.

Erica M said...

The drawing made me weepy! Followed you here from Monday Listicles. Safe travels home for your sweetie.

Adriel Booker said...

Oh girl, not long now. Hang in there!!!

Also, I posted your post tonight but forgot to email you. Now I type this on my iPod in the middle of a midnight feed so can't write much that will be coherent! :)

Thanks again. Love and grace to you in the next weeks!!!

Karen Harrington said...

That was so incredibly touching and warm. I feel your joy!

Bridget said...

Love to you and your family! I'm so glad he gets to be home for the birth of your new baby. XOXO

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

All excellent reasons, especially the photographs. Hang in there - it won't be long now, and how wonderful it will be!

Jennifer Hall said...

Awww, I could cry! Especially at the pic of the little one running to dadddy. So sweet!

christina said...

oh my! this is the most wonderful, most beautiful post i've read all day.

Just A Normal Mom said...

Wow! I think I got happy tears just reading about your family's impending reunion!

Angie Mizzell said...

I remember you writing a while back about how when your husband is gone, you are "on". Most moms can relate to "on". But you've been on for so long, and now with his impending return and the birth of your baby, you are slowly turning off. I'm so happy for you and what's to come... but I can appreciate how these last few weeks feel like the hardest ever. Sending you a virtual hug!

Ado said...

Oh this one got me. Especially the picture drawn by your 3 year old of Daddy's homecoming - sniff, sniff - WHERE ARE MY DAMN HANKIES WHEN I NEED THEM??!!

My husband used to travel a LOT. He would be in the Persian Gulf approximately every two weeks, then home, then back. We read an article that said there's this phenomenon where couples who are about to be apart (like for a deployment or travel etc.) tend to argue approx. 3 days before departure, and approx. 3 days after return. We did this LIKE CLOCKWORK. The article said it was a bizarre way of connecting - arguing. Anyway I don't know why I told you that but just put it in your back pocket for future reference or something. Doesn't sound like you'll need it. (-:

Cookie’s Mom said...

What a sweet reunion it will be. So happy that you will all be together very soon. Congrats on your soon to be newest addition too!! :)

K said...

Thank you everyone for your support and wonderful comments! I bought my husband some Mountain Dew today, the first thing I've gotten for him in terms of what goes in the kitchen, and it made me very happy. There are so many emotions I'm going through right now and I know I'll go through a lot to during the weeks to come after my husband gets home. I used to think the teenage years were difficult emotional, but adult years are filled with just as many emotions, too. Learning to balance them is key :)

Bestfoodies said...

I am so excited for you and your husbands return home. What a blessing that he will be with you and the girls and be here for the new arrival. Your post brought tears to my eyes. We should all be thankful if our families are with us!

Mommy2¢ said...

Wow! This was awesome! You can tell you are so grateful for the blessings in your life. Very cool!

Copyright 2011 Zook Book Nook | Designed by: NW Designs