I immediately thought of my husband, who comes home from deployment in less than three months! And then I thought about our love letters. And then I thought about all of the letters I've written in my lifetime that include the phrase "I miss..."
This train of thought led me down the road to... my diary when I was 14.
So here is a flashback to my past (yes, I cracked open my dear old diary, because diaries are treasures for writers) and found 10 times I used the phrase "I miss..."
It's a bit scary and embarrassing.
But I'm giving you the opportunity to step inside the mind of a 14-year-old girl!
And if you are stopping by from The Good Life for Stasha's Monday Listicles I have two requests:
(1) bombard Bill at Smells Like Borscht with tweets (@SmellsofBorscht) for all the weight we gained after his "Food" topic from last week! So many yummy posts were consumed!
AND
(2) start spinning those gadgets in your mind for next week's topic for Monday Listicles: "Yin Yang"
Thank you Stasha for asking me to choose the topic of next week's list of 10!
Being the pregnant lady that I am, I can't Yo-Yo diet right now (not that I ever would), but Yo-Yo dieting made me think of Yin and Yang.
Top Ten "I Miss..." Flashbacks of a 14-year-old Girl
(the past is never easy to digest)
10. February 24, 1991 - "Dear Diary, I haven't kissed a guy yet, but I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything. The girls shed a million tears when their boyfriends dump them, and then next week they all swap boyfriends anyhow..."
9. February 25, 1991 - "Dear Diary, I get my braces in two days. Yuck! I'm going to miss my teeth. I can't believe my parents are paying my little sister to write a summary of her chapter book Oh, well."
8. March 9, 1991 - "Dear Diary, Tom and Leslie like each other. :( Oh, well. I wore my headgear last night and it hurt soooo much. I have a headache. I miss being a kid."
7. March 10, 1991 - "Dear Diary, My older sister says I have an attitude problem & my parents take her side. (Like always she tattle-tales). I read the Genesis part of the Bible yesterday. I actually found it interesting (some parts were boring & others neat). I wonder if God misses how humans used to be."
6. March 16, 1991 - "Dear Tom, I miss you already. You and Leslie started going out only 7 days ago and already we don't talk on the phone anymore. I feel like crying. I think I love you. Oh, well."
5. March 31, 1991 - "Dear Diary, Tom and I had a great time at the dance. He dumped Leslie and we played b-ball. I missed even my layups, but oh, well. I hope my great-grandchildren will read this someday."
4. August 1, 1991 - "Dear Diary, I just got home from b-ball camp. I got to know this guy there, Mark, and I already miss him. He was our coach, and he's still in college. But anyhow he was so nice and mature."
3. October 25, 1991 - "Dear Diary, My mom said I can't read "Alice something?" I forget the whole title, but secretly I am reading sections of it. I'm not missing out on much by reading it instead of watching boring TV."
2. February 4, 1992 - "Dear Diary, I just read Dances with Wolves. The Indians believe that everything that happens has a meaning of purpose. Now I'm listening to a drug commercial on TV. I wish I lived 200 years ago. I miss that."
1. March 12, 1992 - "Dear Diary, My science teacher told me that all of my teachers are wondering why I'm so spacey lately. I told him I'm just happy & I laugh a lot & I don't worry about my grades. He said it was good to come out of my shell, but I don't want to be thought of as a bimbo. So maybe I'll calm down for awhile. I am going to miss my friends. 8th grade is almost over."
So that's little old me, almost 20 years ago.
I sure hope my writing has improved, in addition to my ability to think!


24 comments:
Hillarious! I definately don't miss being 14! I miss you guys, but "oh well" we'll see you in just over a month!
Haha! Love your take on the prompt, your 14 year old self was adorable!
Thanks for sharing a little of your 14 yo self. Now, I wished I'd kept a diary. I don't even remember being 14. Great take again on the prompt. Hmm...Yin Yang is quite a challenge, I'd be cracking my head over it the whole week..haha!
14 feels like it was so long ago. Maybe because it was.
Ugh. I don't miss 14 AT ALL!!
Greta take on the prompt.
I kept a journal and thought I was oh so deep when I was 14. But nothing like you ;) it is so neat to see what used to preoccupy our minds. And for you to have this, with three girls scheduled to walk in your footsteps is great. Because like @Kiddothinigs said, I do not remember being 14 at all. You will be able to relate to them so much better!
I love your tak eon the prompt, love it!! And the theme, great challenge. My mind will be all yo yo yingy yangy all week long. THank you.
This was great, I did not keep a diary at any age, but, remember 14 being a strange year. As a guy, I was in the 9th grade and in a school with 9th thru 12th graders, so naturally, the 9th graders were at the very bottom of any totem pole you picked.
Don't remember much about girlfriends at that point, we had a lot of school dances and parties at homes so did most of my dancing, courting (HA) at these.
Really interesting to see what girls were thinking about at that age, I know I was only thinking about sports at that age.
What a great way to approach things you miss! Do you remember writing the things that you wrote? Can you still feel whatever you felt then? But most importantly, will you show your great-grandshildren your diary?
HAHA! This is so great! I never kept a diary but I would have loved to read what was going on in my head at 14 too. I'm sure it was interesting!
I wish I had my diary from back then. There was this boy named Brian that I met right after I went to live with my Mom. I would love to take a peak back into my own brain at that age! Great job on your list!
And Yin Yang? That's gonna be a brain-cell buster this week!
First, I am so glad that I didn't come across as a total flake at 14 :) When I read my diary I was completely surprised at how I used to think, bopping around from one topic to the next, and how much I wrote about boys! Wow, I had no memory of it. Before reading it I thought I had been pretty serious and ready to conquer the world at 14, but that clearly wasn't the case.
I had to laugh when I read I wanted my great-grandchildren to read my diary. I think it would be funny if they did, but then I'd like them to follow up by reading my blog and my publications so they know their great-grandma turned out okay!
I've since gone on to read my early journals from when I was younger and some of the things I wrote really shocked me! It's amazing what our mind, our memory suppresses.
I love your Ten Miss.
Life can be very complicated when you are 14. I also love that you kept your journals and then one day your grandkids will be able to read.
Your response to Stasha's theme this week was wonderful. It's so cool to go back in time and get into the mind of a 14 year old girl. I think you were pretty smart and thoughtful.
Great post. Alas, I didn't keep a diary - I wish I had! But i definitely do not miss being 14 :)
OMG i love love love that you did this- that you took your own words from when you were 14 years old from your diary. sooo freaking cool.
Very funny! I don't miss being 14. I had a diary then and I'm sure I'll go beetroot red just reading it!
Being 14 is HARD!! Thank you for sharing that with us all! I hope you do save that for your great-grandchildren, think how different life will be then!
P.S. SO happy to hear your husband will be home in a couple of months!!
Fabulous! This was such a unique way of this "I miss..." prompt!
14, such an awkward year, and you nailed it!
--ahhhh, so beautiful and innocent. I'm so glad I found you somehow.
"I wonder if God misses how humans used to be."
My Fave part. :)
Holy cats, this is hilarious. And, now I know the next list theme. I'll google it because I have no clue what those two words mean.
p.s. love the pic and the diary approach, very nice.
I love this post. I miss those childhood years too. Sure wish that I had a diary back then too. How awesome you get look back on yourself this way. =)
Oh my God, this has to be my favorite list so far. Thanks (I think?) for reminding me how horrid it was to be 14 - but my, you were a very advanced thinker for 14 - to figure out that "even if you kissed a guy" a week later you'd be moving onto something else etc. Very advanced! I was still playing w. dolls (in secret!!) at 14 but I do recall smooching my pillow to practice kissing! God - those days were horrid!
PS: How nice your hubby's coming home in 3 months!
Ha, so cute and real. Thanks for sharing your cute 14 year old self.
Yin Yang, I love it!
Priceless. Not to mention hysterical. Reminds me that 14 year old girls are pretty much the most serious creatures on the planet. Love the fact that at the dance you played b-ball with your crush...wonder what he's doing this days? Too funny.
I would not want to read mine or my daughters diary from being 14 lol. Such a cool way to do a "miss" list. Hope the next three months goes by with lightening speed!
Post a Comment