But if I'm given time to come up with a word on my own, say as in Scrabble, I love it, but I'm slow at putting those little letters together.
Life throws at me moments and feelings that are indescribable. If I try to find the exact word to describe it, my mind goes blank. I'm searching for the words, the all encompassing words for these moments, these feelings...
Standing on the edge of the ocean, I find it to be inviting yet threatening all at once.
The ebb of peace washes back to sea, revealing a deep tremor of the finality of engulfment.
What word describes that feeling of welcoming tranquility
while harboring an instinctual threat to survival?
Holding my two-year-old over my pregnant belly,
I breathe in love as the edge of wanting space unsettles the moment.
What word captures a mother's heart yearning for physical freedom
yet clinging to the waning umbilical cord?
Waking before dawn, I listen to my toddler sing "I love Mama. I love Dada." over and over
and I want to run to her to inundate her with my love,
but I burrow deeper into the covers wanting more time alone.
What word holds the essence of the moment a woman tips over into a mother?
What words are you still searching for in your life?
8 comments:
I never though of this before Kim. I must sit down when the world quiets down and think.
That's an interesting idea. I wanted to respond with possible words to your questions, yet, could not find the right one. I guess I'm still searching.
I don't know if there are single words that say what you're describing - perhaps too complex. But I love the descriptions - so beautiful and real.
I know now why you're the writer and I am the observer, you have a wonderful way of setting the scene and I am unable to capture the words.
The edge of the ocean is peaceful because we sometimes think of it as the Mother of all things. It is foreboding because there are unknowns there as well. It's a bit like a daily slice of life when we step out on the day to see what it beholds.
Holding a baby tight to another baby waiting to emerge is just a breathless feeling, so much waiting to happen that we hold our breath hoping for all good things.
Ferocious, caring, observant, possessive, protector....these are all the words for a Mother that has moved away from the role of woman.
I'm always searching for the right words. Seems I can never get the right ones for what I'm thinking.
For Scrabble, I cheat.
Thank you everyone for sharing this idea of searching with me! Lou, I think you described it just perfectly and was glad to see you got it that I was trying to connect one baby to the baby inside me and then to me :) So many feelings inside the mind and heart of a parent!
Beautiful post, Kim. I couldn't come up with words for what you were describing, but I know those feelings.
This is such a beautiful post! There are so many words that I lack as a mother engulfed in the complexities of true love for another human being. It's amazing.
Post a Comment