Saturday, August 6, 2011

Hidden Gems

 


I lucked out in college. I found my two best friends, Meredith (above) and Emily (below).




I didn't even have to go digging around for them for very long. We met during our freshman year at Indiana University.

Since then they have traveled miles upon miles to see me, to help me, to meet my daughters. I am so fortunate, and so humbled. I wish I was as good a friend for them as they are for me.

Meredith flew to Costa Rica to help me hack with machetes and dig with shovels into abandoned cow pastures. Just so I could collect samples of dirt by any tree in the pasture.

I was hunting for hidden treasures: fungal spores. They're quite lovely, little round balls ranging in color (under the microscope).

Emily traveled to Canada as I neared the end of my first pregnancy and then to D.C. to meet my second daughter after she was born.

I was experiencing the mystifying treasure of motherhood, and needing a friend.

Despite my lack of communication, my efforts to travel to see my two friends, my forgetfulness of birthdays, my two best-friends are my true friends in my life. And I am so grateful that they understand me so well, to know that I love them, cherish them, and hold them as gems in my heart.

I know most bloggers write tributes to other bloggers, and I truly value the relationships I have with other bloggers, but I wanted to write this blog post for my two dear friends tonight.

Thank you Meredith and Emily for always being there for me!

4 comments:

Kiddothings said...

That's so nice featuring 2 of your best friends here. I hope they read your blog.

Anonymous said...

As you probably know, I think friends are our greatest treasures. They are people we choose and are accepted into their lives, both the good and the bad. Our best friends forever don't live close enough to visit often, but, we know we are always there for each other and when we do get together we just take right up on everything as if we saw them every week.

Always value your friends, care about them, touch base now and then and they will continue to be there for you.

Mama, Hear Me Roar said...

You are so right, friends are so precious. What a touching tribute to your pals.

Ginny Marie said...

What a lovely story about your two friends! It's so neat that you have managed to stay close throughout the years.

By the way, I love your new blog design! :)

Copyright 2011 Zook Book Nook | Designed by: NW Designs