Sunday, August 7, 2011

Ferocious Feeders of Food

Stasha at The Good Life runs her Monday Listicles, and this week's topic, food, was chosen by Bill at Smells Like Borscht!

These days I am trying to teach my two girls their table manners.

The experience brings to mind all of the times I've witnessed "animals" eating food.
My four-year-old daughter still denies that she is an animal; however, this list should convince her that she is indeed a living, breathing, hunger-driven animal.

Ferocious Feeders of Food

1. My daughter attacks her cottage cheese mouth-on-plate like our old dog, who devoured a bag of chocolate-covered espresso beans he had stolen off the kitchen counter.

($600 and a stomach pump later, our dog survived)

2. My daughters mimic the white-faced capuchin monkeys that stole bananas from me in Costa Rica: they're sly, stealthy and secretly peel the banana delicately piece by piece just out of reach from me.



3. My four-year-old's hand snaps at the last Dum Dum like my childhood pet turtle lunged for live caterpillars. "It's Mine!"


4. My daughters hover in front of the refrigerator, waiting for food, like our fish in the tank that swarm the surface right before meal time.
(They at least paused to hug for the photo)


5. My two girls nursing so contently (when they were babies) like the baby gorilla nursing at the zoo.

6. My oldest daughter crunching on pretzels like the puma in Costa Rica that crunched on a rodent's bones while sitting on top of my casita at night.

(No I didn't go outside to take a photo of the puma, but here's one of my casita & friends)

7. My two-year-old chasing after her big sister, trying to bite her (and succeeding), like a great white shark attacks its prey (no cannibalism was committed; although she did draw blood).

(Not a PG-rated image of the vampire scene, but you can see how sharp her teeth are here)
8. Teaching my daughters how to suck the nectar at the base of long stemmed red flowers just like a hummingbird drinks nectar.



9. My daughters nibble little holes out of lettuce leaves like the caterpillars outside devour my cucumber leaves.


10. My daughters nibbling on books (when they were young) just like the pregnant rat inside my casita in Costa Rica chewed up the pages of my books (to make a nest for her offspring).

This rat doesn't deserve a photo; 
she destroyed my books & my clothes, 
pooped all over my pillow,
and crawled on top of me when I slept at night.


If you have a list of 10 on the topic of Food, link up to:



21 comments:

Kiddothings said...

Great take on the food prompt! I never would've related the way my kids eat to those of ferocious feeders in the wild but now I will. :D

Stasha said...

You always come up with the neatest ideas! Man you had some mad 'pets' in Costa Rica! Love that you teach the girls about nectar, I showed my son a plant we used to feed of when I was a kid, my friends and I would sit in the meadow and do it for hours!
I am trying to think of an animal that would resemble my child. In difference with your young ladies he has impacible manners. He sit down, looks at the plate, looks at me, says no thank you and leaves. Sometimes he even adds 'thank you for making dinner mama, but I am not hungry.'
Maybe a stick insect?! Anyway, I will swap him for your pumas and rats any day.

K said...

LOL Stasha, it sounds like "he eats like a bird" literally fits your boy then! My 4 year old keeps asking me to take her to the jungle where I used to live "on a date." And I want to, but don't know what I would do if she flipped out over the inhabitants that visit nightly.

My girls have a bit of my wild nature in them, their curly Q hair shows for it. I am afraid by the time my husband gets home from deployment our house will have turned into a scene from Where the Wild Things Are :)

Jessica said...

I can so relate to this post because I have some pictures of my youngest drinking out of the dog's water bowl and eating her food of the plate with no hands.

Stasha said...

You know Kim and Jessica, my son is going to take your girls out on a date in a couple of decades... I promise not to spill the beans on their early life table manners ;)

Alison said...

Kim, love your take on the prompt! My son likes to eat on the run, so I guess that's most mammals who hunt, right? :)

Anonymous said...

Hilarious list and your description of the attack of the cottage cheese is just too funny. Comparing your daughters eating habits to the wild animals in Costa Rica is just so creative, thanks for a bunch of smiles this morning.

Jackie said...

What a great way to address this prompt! I especially love how the pregnant mouse did not deserve a photo!
Your girls are too cute, even with vampire fangs and great white bites!

Crystal @ PoM said...

I always told my daughter that she reminded me of a little bird in a nest. Head back, mouth open, begging for a bite of whatever I happened to have.

She's almost 18 now and I noticed the last time we took her out to eat, she still does it!

Ado said...

No the mouse did not deserve a photo. Love your "casita" and these photos. (-:

Bill said...

I think a picture of me belongs in this list. I habitually get "eats too fast" stomach aches. Every time I say I'll never eat like that again, but then I'm always back shoveling food in like a bulldozer. Great idea for a list!

christina said...

hilarious!

The Spaghetti Westerner said...

Too cute! My little guy LOVES cottage cheese, too.

Mama and the City said...

I loved the nursing picture - babies are always cute and delicious.

Jen said...

Very creative take on this prompt! I loved the monkey picture :)

Ginny Marie said...

That caterpillar is HUGE! I don't know if I'd be brave enough to hold it, but it definitely is nicer than that rat! I love reading about your time spent in Costa Rica, and relating it to your girls was brilliant.

P.S. Thanks for listing my "experimentation" post as one of your favorites in your sidebar. I had forgotten all about that post, and rereading what I had written was fun!

Saretta said...

Cute animal angle on the list! I have to admit that the rat in no. 10 just killed my appetite, though!

Bestfoodies said...

Such a creative way to post about food...as far as the rat, I wouldn't have lived to tell about it as I would have had a heart attack and died...your girls are cute as they can be!

K said...

Thank you everyone for stopping by and leaving a comment today! I love hearing how your children resemble animals (or don't!). I think it is the overall way they may act on instinct that always has my mind projecting my little girls into what kind of animal they are.

As for the pregnant rat, it is the only animal on this planet that I hate. Such a strong word, but she and I had major battles. Unfortunately, she was probably the winner in the end as I couldn't get her to stop returning to my hut and then her six offspring tried to take it over, too. Not fun times.

I preferred the tarantula and scorpion and snakes in my hut over the rat.

Fabulosokids Bruce said...

Kids as compared to animals--cool idea, but unfair. The animals often times create much less mess than ravenous children! :)

K said...

LOL, that's true about animals leaving less of a mess. When our dog consumed that bag of chocolate-covered espresso beans, he was still licking the floor spotless when we discovered him. And our puppy now, she eats all of her raw chicken bones and leaves not a trace!

Copyright 2011 Zook Book Nook | Designed by: NW Designs