Tuesday, July 12, 2011

What to Do With Those Imperfections

Celebrate them!

My day began with building forts, having tea parties, breaking a brand new bottle of Worcester sauce, burning five candles so my kitchen doesn't smell like hamburgers all day, taking my oldest girl to preschool, playing catch with our sheltie puppy and youngest girl, and blowing bubbles with my youngest until she wanted to watch Dora. All before 10a.m. this morning; quite a perfect morning!

And then I stopped on over at Mommy Pants to see what was on her mind today. And she told me the 10 things she likes about herself. And I thought, Hmmm... What would be on my list? And where did Mommy Pants find her inspiration for her list?

So I linked over to C. Mom and discovered this:



And realized that making a list is a celebration of ourselves. But it wasn't until I hopped over to Alexandra's essay: Do We Have To Be Perfect to Accept Ourselves? that I understood making a list not only celebrates ourselves, but it is also therapeutic and enlightening!

I love how the blogging community unites us through links!

So to celebrate myself and to find enlightenment (just exactly what do I like about myself?), here goes...

A List of 10 Things I Celebrate About Myself
  1. I like the home I've created for my family: it is rich in love and joy.
  2. I like that I breastfed my daughters until they were 17 and 18 months old, despite the lack of support from doctors who told me there was no benefit to nursing for so long.
  3. I like that my heart is capable of loving someone (my hubby) so deeply, so profoundly.
  4. I like that I lived on my own in Costa Rica to 'discover' myself before I met my husband.
  5. I like that I am addicted to books and writing.
  6. I like that I am starting to become social again and developing friendships as an adult.
  7. I like that I can listen to others and think about what to say to them before speaking.
  8. I like that I am raising daughters who love writing and art as much as me.
  9. I like that I have the travel bug and don't have roots.
  10. I like that I don't feel guilty anymore, that I feel proud now to be a stay-at-home mom and writer.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love how you viewed this project! Your children are so lucky to have you as a mom.

Galit Breen said...

This is a wonderful list! I absolutely adore that you started with loving the home you created for your family- beautifully worded and lovingly chosen!

Sandra said...

I love this entire concept of pointing out 10 things we love about ourselves! I'm going to put this post on my desktop so I can remember to join in! I think you're so lucky to have been able to breastfeed until your babies were 17-18 months. I only got up to the 8th month with the last one because my milk kept drying up. Probably a good thing, I'd probably still be breastfeeding the 7 year old, I'm so attached to him! And hey, I thank you so much for the shout out on Facebook and all the beautiful and supportive comments! You have touched my heart, seriously xoxox

Copyright 2011 Zook Book Nook | Designed by: NW Designs