Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Chaos of Infinity

A friend of mine in high school once asked me, "Do you think the raindrops are hitting your windshield at random or is it all just chaos?"

I sat behind the wheel, stunned into silence, and my only (humble) thought was "wow, this guy is not only good looking but a thinker!" Seconds ticked by, I smiled and said something like "I dunno," and realized that I was outmatched.

He went on to be the valedictorian of our graduating class and I have never seen him since.

That one question is the only question I remember from that period of time in my life. Who remembers any questions from when we were in high school? But my friend Steve's question has stuck with me. And it remains unanswered in my mind.


Chaos - any state of confusion or disorder, lacking predictability

Random - having no aim or purpose yet having a number of possible outcomes



It's Mom's Morning Out at the preschool, so my two girls are there. I came home to enjoy my freedom by mowing the lawn, walking the puppy, cleaning the toilet and shower, and now here I sit, blogging before I get to work on a short story.

I watched the water go down the shower floor drain and Steve's question came to mind. Is it all just chaos?

I believe the reason I think of Steve's question over and over for the past 15 years is because it can be expanded to everything in life.

If the libraries cease to exist, where do all the books go? Are the out-of-print words to just disappear at random or will it be chaos?

My children embarking in the world... will my parenting be pulled up at random moments in their life or will they recall things in chaotic fashion?

Is unconditional love purely random or is it infinite chaos?

If heaven stretches on for infinity, are souls wandering at random or in chaos?

Will my children catch raindrops on their tongues at random or is it all just chaos?

I wish I could ask Steve my questions. I imagine he went on to discover the answer to the one he asked me oh so long ago.

No comments:

Copyright 2011 Zook Book Nook | Designed by: NW Designs