But then my hubby deployed and after being home all day with my dear little girls, I craved adult conversation. I turned to blogging, and achieved the satisfaction that comes from communicating with writer mamas around the world. I turned to writing, and have been turning out short stories and essays. But, it wasn't enough.
Then my husband's ship start a support group on Facebook. The ship started posting photos of my hubby and other sailors, showing what they've been up to. And then it started: I began to post status updates more frequently. So I guess I will stay with Facebook, for now.
But now I am thinking I am on it too much.
Top Ten Ways to Know if You Are on Facebook Too Often
- You dream one night that you have to give your fish away, which you conveniently put in the freezer, because you are moving across country. (All coming from a friend's status update that said she needs to use up her frozen food before they move in two weeks.)
- You check Facebook so often that the only new status update is your own.
- You actually begin to remember the number of friends you have. (Fortunately I'm not at the point where I care if someone unfriends me; I've unfriended people, so I understand if someone unfriends me.)
- You wait and wait and wait to see a friend update their status with big news, and it never comes.
- You are secretly glad your husband isn't on Facebook, because it means there is at least one of you who is still normal, still sane to take care of the house and children.
- You laugh at the couples who post on each other's wall twenty times a day. Aren't they sitting on the same couch?
- You try to friend someone you already tried to friend months ago; they just don't want to be your friend, okay?
- You find Facebook updates more rewarding the Tweets.
- You log on during episodes of insomnia and post on the walls of friends you haven't been in touch with for years. Did they see the time you wrote? Yes, you need help.
- During more periods of insomnia you look at all the albums of friends from old to see what they look like, how many children they have, and if they seem happy. You hope they are, and then realize they probably are because they're probably all sleeping.
4 comments:
I have given up on facebook. I'm now a twitter addict!
I am not into Facebook at all, which is really strange to some people since I blog and love Twitter. My husband, on the other hand, is obsessed w/ it! Except for in a situation like yours where you're keeping in touch w/ your husband, I just don't see the attraction. I don't think we're meant to stay in that close contact with everyone we've ever met!
I am right there with Shell. Twitter is my new FB.
I see you like making lists of ten. You. Should Jin my link up every Monday. It is a list of ten anything.
Maybe I should give Twitter a shot. I just don't feel clever enough to come up with short statments, but then if I look at my FB home page my updates are just that :)
Thanks Stasha for the heads up about the Monday Listicles! I'll definitely be participating as I love making lists!
Post a Comment