Monday, July 25, 2011

The Inside Bully


My girls were frolicking around in the neighborhood pool today with me. One Mama Eye tracked my two-year-old, suspended by floaties. The other Mama Eye hovered on my four-year-old, swimming towards me like a seal, sans floaties.

But my inner Mama Eye, the one our mothers referred to as the eyes in the back of their heads, well, that one watched a boy.

A boy, obese and eating a bag of Fritos right at the edge of the pool. His sister came and stole the bag of Fritos from him. His mother, also obese, floated in the pool's deep end. The boy shrieked and took off chasing his sister. He began to bawl. He cried out, "Give me back my chips!"

His sister laughed. "Hey Mom, he's exercising."
His mother teased. "Can't get your Fritos!"

This went on an on, until finally the boy, who appeared to be no older than six, sunk his body into the pool and inched his way around the pool wall to his mother. He was sobbing. Uncontrollably.

And his mother, his sister... they were laughing.

I felt like crying, and probably would have if my two girls were not giggling at each other as they splashed one another, completely oblivious to the boy's traumatic moment.

Bullies are found in hallways, bathrooms, the back of the bus. But they are also found inside families.

I failed to see the humor in the Frito chase today. Perhaps I'm just a humorless person.

Instead, I did see the boy's future. Because of his weight, this boy will probably get teased and taunted at school. His family may be the only place where he can relax. But I'm not sure if he will feel safe to let his guard down even then.

Perhaps this was just a one time thing. Maybe the mom and sister had the boy's best interest in mind and only wanted him to raise his heart rate. It could be they just did not want him to eat any more Fritos and did not know how to get him to stop without raising a fuss in a public place.

I don't know their circumstances. I only saw the surface of what went on around me. But what I did see didn't make me laugh.


8 comments:

My Inner Chick said...

Omg, this post made me MAD :) Damn so-called-mom should know better. Big Fat Bully.

K said...

I was fuming, too! I just wanted to go up to the boy and hug him. After we got home and the girls were dressed and watching Scooby Doo I knew I had to vent, so I came to my blog. I just wish there was something I could have done to help the boy, but it wasn't my place.

Angie Mizzell said...

I think it's so sad when you witness how it happens and why it happens. You know how this boy's future is going to unfold... and you saw the moment when it began.

ps-- did you get a new header? Or am I just now noticing it? I like!

K said...

Angie, do you think I should have said something. Your words struck a cord, I did witness a moment (maybe not the first, but maybe the beginning) of when it all began. It makes me so sad for this boy. All I did was try to smile at him in a way that was my attempt to comfort him. Maybe I'll see him at the pool again. I hope.

Angie Mizzell said...

I'm not sure I would have said anything... but that actually has me thinking. I'm sure it would have been met with a "mind your own business" -- but it's great food for thought. There's a show on ABC called "What would you do?" and it's all about stuff like this. Have you seen it?

Abby said...

That's awful, Kim. It makes me sick. If it were me, I would probably not have the courage to say something to the mom, but I may have gone out of my way to say something kind to the boy, or distract him. Maybe, "Are you OK? Would you mind tossing us back that ball? Thanks so much for your help!"

K said...

I haven't seen the show Angie (we don't have cable), but I think I'll look it up online! Thanks for the reference. And thanks Abby for the ideas of alternates. We've been swimming every day since but I haven't seen him again. I hope to!

Terra said...

Reading this brought tears to my eyes and saddened me deep down inside for this boy. I was the obese child I think from about the age of 8 on. I was the one who was made fun of, teased, called names etc. It broke my heart and I will never forget how I felt.

However I always was safe, loved and protected with my own family. My Mom had a huge burden and felt so bad for me. She tried to help me, took me to Dr's, put me on special diets etc. I always felt my families love and acceptance though.

I have a hard time keeping quiet. Hence where Jeremiah gets his sometimes too honest, opinionated personality. I know I would have listened for a little bit and observed. I however would have gave the Mom a piece of my mind. Letting her know how dare she ridicule her son when she herself was in need of some intervention with her weight as well. I have a very hard time holding back. It may be a fault but I can not stand injustice or unfairness especially with children.

Copyright 2011 Zook Book Nook | Designed by: NW Designs