Saturday, July 23, 2011

The Greens

My favorite color used to be blue.



Then, I became a mother. And green became my new favorite color.




Why did my favorite hue turn to green? I've never tried to figure out why until now...

1
Mother Nature 

From pregnancy to nursing to nourishing a child's spirit, I've never experienced Mother Nature quite like this. Between the sea and the sky, blue dominates our planet, but green is what grows and flourishes.

2
Nature's green is gold,  
  Her hardest hue to hold. 

Robert Frost may not have had motherhood in mind when he wrote this in 1923, but as I watch my children grow from babies to toddlers to little girls in the blink of an eye, I realize how 'golden' these earlier years are and how fleeting they seem to be.


3
Seedlings

My daughters are fascinated by the miniature buds of life: cotyledons. The fragile green little leaves hold so much potential, so much promise, it makes me want to hold my breath in anticipation of what they will become.

Green Slime

My four-year-old daughter is fascinated by the idea of green slime. She begs me to tell her stories about it ALL DAY LONG. Yes, it gets old, inventing new stories about princesses, superheroes, and GREEN SLIME, but her passion for it makes me love green even more.



Unseen Secrets

The amazing talent of a seven-year-old child, Quinn Whitlow. Children amaze me with the way they capture our world in words.



6
Metamorphosis

Motherhood is an experience of metamorphosis. I've gone from being a new mom roaming the house like a caterpillar to a mom undergoing change inside a protective case to a more confident mom, exposing my wings and letting go.


7
Green Mom

My home does not radiate Organic, Handmade, Chemical-free, Eco-friendly, but it does harbor a good sense of nature. We have more TV, computer, toys and "stuff" than I ever wanted, but I try to balance it with a love and appreciation of nature by growing vegetables and flowers, raising butterflies, checking out library books about animals, and playing outside as often as possible. I find the amount of information out there about being a Green Mom overwhelming, but one site in particular is the best one I've found for me: Nature Moms.


8
Watermelon Babies

My baby belly sticks way out every time I'm pregnant. I'm not kidding. Here I am swollen like a watermelon and no, I'm not carrying twins.








9
Henry Graham Green

"There is always one moment in childhood when the door opens and lets in the future."
The Power and the Glory (1940)


Every time I read this quote, every moment I think of it, I get covered in goose bumps, thinking about how precious childhood is and what an incredible blessing it is to be a mother and to witness the moment a door opens in my childrens' lives.


10
Green Eggs and Ham




Because mothers will go to any degree to get their child to eat, even if it means adding green food coloring to eggs as a final attempt to get her daughter to eat eggs.


Link up your list of "10 Green" at The Good Life's Monday Listicles:

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

really neat post, love the pics you chose, very creative. So now you have your list already for Monday...excellent.

Alison said...

Great list, love the way you approached the prompt.

Anonymous said...

What an awesome take on the prompt. I love your analogy and list.

But navy blue is still my favorite color. :)

Anonymous said...

Popping on over from The good life and a new follower!

I LOVE the picture of you with that humongous leaf! It's incredibly. Where was it taken at?

Crystal said...

What a creative approach! I love this! Green Eggs And Ham was always one of my favorites!

When you mentioned slime, I thought of this nasty stuff you could get out of bubble gum machines when I was a kid. It always made me think of snot, lol!

Stasha said...

So beautifully done Kim. You always make me think, reflect, appreciate. And inspire. Thank you for this list, a great reminder of all things important.

Kiddothings said...

I love that picture of you with the BIG leaf. I liked how you related green with your life as a mother. Great list!

K said...

Thank you everyone for stopping by! This was a fun list to put together. I'm hooked on the Monday Listicles with The Good Life.

The leaf is a Poor Man's Umbrella Leaf. That was me when I lived in the rainforest. I had to wait out many rains under those leaves :)

Mama, Hear Me Roar said...

You have such a lovely way with ideas and words, Kim! I especially like your thoughts of growing and metamorphosis.

Bestfoodies said...

I just love your list and the pictures with it. It is compelling and fascinating. I have always been a Green Eggs & Ham fan, besides being such a good kiddie story it is also a positive work motivator...just think how many times he was told no before being told yes, not that we want our kids to ask us over and over though until we say yes lol...best used like that for the adults!

christina said...

oh my, i ADORE your baby bump photos! :)

Jen said...

Great list!!! Love your belly pics too...everyone always asked me if I was carrying twins too ;)

Cookie’s Mom said...

So true about motherhood being a metamorphosis. I'm am in some ways a completely different entity than before I became a mother. Great list!

K said...

If anyone is interested in expanding the idea of metamorphosis out, there is a great book of vignettes called MotherMorphosis. The link to it is at the bottom of my blog. It's a beautifully written story about a mother and how she changes :)

Cookie’s Mom said...

Oooh, thanks for that recommendation, Kim. I've added it to my wishlist!

Galit Breen said...

This is so beautifully and seamlessly done! *Love!*

Jessica said...

I love this take on the prompt. And all the reasons why you love green.

Also, it totally looks like you swallowed a watermelon. It still amazes me that our bodies can stretch and grow like that.

Copyright 2011 Zook Book Nook | Designed by: NW Designs