Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Got a Case of the Blaahgs?


Blogging keeps our heads above water. We surface. We stay afloat. It's more than therapeutic. It's a lifesaver.

Okay, that's a bit extreme. I think we'd all survive if we stopped blogging today.

However, it does benefit the blogger in many ways. But sometimes our blogs may bore us, become too ordinary, and god forbid, not inspire us to write.

I took a year off from blogging. Coming back to it with new eyes, I find it is liberating to write something and send it off into the world of the Internet. I missed the connection I had with other writers and parents.

My blog is the place where I go to explore a question or an idea. I write mainly for me, to see what discussion comes from my posts, and as a result my blog doesn't necessarily entertain or draw a large number.

Whether you are okay with your blog being simply for you (as my blog is for me) or if you'd like your blog to draw readers back on a daily basis, we all may share a common goal: to become better bloggers over time.

Now that you've been blogging for some time, you've probably checked out sites to find ways to improve your blog:

Top 50 Ways to Improve Your Blog
31 Days to Building a Better Blog
100 Blog Post Ideas
The Ultimate Blog Community
5 Steps to Develop Blogging Competence and Audience Commitment
How to Get Blog Readers and Keep Them Reading

But for bloggers who have been there done that, what is next? What more can we do to become better bloggers?

I don't have the answers, but I do have some ideas!

For the next three days I will present a series on blogging for those of you who wish to take your blog to the next level!!!

My credentials are not in blogging, so my ideas may or may not be helpful. But they may at least make you think!

11 comments:

Kiddothings said...

I look forward to reading your series. I haven't got the case of the blaahgs yet, for me blogging is still a case of YippeeYahooey!

Anonymous said...

I enjoy following a number of bloggers and comment sometimes and sometimes not. I don't have a blog as I usually don't think I have much to say and continually marvel at the level of creativity I see in a number of blogs. I also follow a half dozen Rotary Ambassadorial Scholar blogs as these young folks spend a year abroad in a university and doing service with local Rotary Clubs. They can be highly entertaining as well with photos and scary stories of their travels.
Looking forward to your thoughts on blogging the next few days.

K said...

Lou, I'd love to know what Rotary Ambassadorial Scholar blogs you read. I am looking to expand my blog list beyond writer and mama blogs, and those sound very worthy of reading!

mom2kiddos, That's awesome you feel YippeeYahooey about blogging! I love that :) Reading your blog gives me lots of new ideas, so thank you :)

kate hopper said...

I'm so glad you ARE blogging, Kimberly. And I look forward to your series.

Mama, Hear Me Roar said...

Really looking forward to your series too, Kim! I have a case of Newbie Blogger Blur-ness. Everything is somewhat hazy because I have so little time in the day to blog, let alone find out more about blogging and how to improve my blog! Homeschooling three kids aged 5 and under, plus housework, is about all I can manage right now. I'm definitely coming back to your blog for a quick tutorial!

The Spaghetti Westerner said...

Sounds very interesting. I look forward to reading more!

Saretta said...

Thanks for those links. I am a clueless blogger, drifting along without a paddle. I'll be back to read your tips!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim, I'll attach a few of the past Ambassadorial Scholar blog links so you can get a flavor of what they do and write about. With the school year ending, most of the Scholars that went out last fall are back and the new ones are just heading out. I'll pass the new ones along to you when they set them up.
http://carolinekburns.blogspot.com/

http://lebuechelemosteller.blogspot.com/

http://betsysutherland.blogspot.com/
http://kristenthompsonabroad.blogspot.com/
http://emrysinindia.wordpress.com/

Angie Mizzell said...

I enjoy blogs with a voice. I often know instantly if I'm going to connect with the writer or not. I can't wait to read your series.

K said...

Thanks Lou for the links! I've been enjoying reading these blogs tonight; very impressive and so admirable. These individuals are role models for all, so thank you for introducing me to their blogs!

Stasha said...

This is great. Advice is always welcome in my opinion. And yours counts.

Copyright 2011 Zook Book Nook | Designed by: NW Designs