Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Blogging Series Day 1: First Posts

How often do you stumble upon an awesome blog and ask yourself,
"How did it all begin? Why did this blogger join the world of blogging?"
The answer helps us to understand the heart of the blog, and the blogger's reason for blogging.

After reading about deep links at Moms Without Blogs, I decided to create a Top 10 list of "First Posts" by bloggers (i.e., the posts themselves, why blogs were started, etc). So here are some deep links to some interesting first posts for you to enjoy!

Whether you have a case of the blaahgs or not, think about your first post. Reread it. What does it say about you and your blog? Begin to think about how far your blog has come since that initial post and where you want your blog to go (see tomorrow's blog post for details on this!).

Top 10 List of "First Posts" by Bloggers



Many initial posts that I've come across examine a bloggers concerns about exposing their thoughts to the world. We question ourselves. We wonder who is going to read our blogs. And we wonder what to write about.

Venus and Mars


For bloggers that begin blogging with a purpose, they may choose to describe the heart and soul of their blog with the first post. Readers know what they're in for by reading these initial posts and the blogger has a defined focus written out.


Sometimes a blog is born and rolling right away with a story! Many blogs start with a bang, because the blogger has an idea or a story that wants to be shared with others.


For some bloggers who have been around for awhile (I can't believe some have been blogging since 2005; I had no idea the blogging world was so old) they are ready to start a new blog. An old blog may evolve so much or a blogger may change or a blog may pick up some unwelcome followers... Whatever the reason, a new blog is born!


Sometimes a blogger has to go back and create a post that she or he dates as the first one in order to have a spot to place some information. It might be the blogger has to describe an ad network for the blog. Or it might be an "About" page once the blogger realizes it would be good to have an "About" page to link to on her or his blog.

Writing the Life Poetic

Blogs may be written by one person, but the blog itself is a community. A community growing and learning from a center focus such as a book or event.


Sometimes we just need to know that we are not alone, and blogging may be the only way to find that one other person on Earth who truly 'gets' us.

Lisa Wants the Floor
An introduction to the blogger! These first posts may be straight-forward and insightful! I gain such a clear picture of the blogger and I see the blog in a new light after reading a first post like this.


Diary of a New Mom
Blogs may serve as a tool to document a journey we embark on. My blog started out this way with its first post, and I've certainly traveled far with it. In the case of this link to Diary of a New Mom, it is fun to read her first post and see that now she has two children, so her journey documented in her blog is quite deep! And she also has a new blog (see #7).

Farmers Wife

A few first posts make me say "Ah ha!" in my head as the light becomes clearer. Initial posts like this one with photos clarify everything and help me reach a deeper understanding of the blog by seeing something for the first time or knowing where they blogger has come from.

What's your first post say about you and your blog?

Please add a link to your first post in the comments!! I may not have read it yet, but I'd like to!

Stay tuned for discussion on where our blogs have gone since that first post oh so long ago...

9 comments:

Abby said...

Yep, I'm THAT old. ;) This list is a cool idea! When I look back at my earliest posts, I'm really struck by how far my writing has come. It was so stiff, impersonal & boring at first. It's a good lesson for us writers, though, isn't it? The more we write, the better we get!

Mama, Hear Me Roar said...

I've only been blogging for 4 months, so I'm just a babe :) I love writing, but at the end of a long tiring day with the kids, I always venture out on my blog with aching limbs and feel a little stiff. It takes some time to loosen up!

My first post: http://mamahearmeroar.wordpress.com/2011/04/02/puppys-revelation/

Angie Mizzell said...

April 9, 2008: Work-life balance. What is that, anyway?

http://angiemizzell.com/2008/04/09/work-life-balance-what-is-that-anyway/

K said...

Yay, Thanks for sharing your first posts. Some blogs are very hard to find them on :)

I love going back and reading Diary of a New Mom entries Abby! I think I told you once before your blog is one of the blogs that really inspired me to be a better blogger!

I loved hearing about Puppy, and how your experience of those moments probably led you to begin blogging! Four months in and already your blog is wonderful. It took me a lot longer to get my feet on firm ground.

And thank you Angie for sharing your first post link with me, I couldn't find it so I'm glad to read it. I've found balance to be at the core of so many writer-mama blogs, so what a fantastic first post to have. You were already light years ahead of us when you first began your blog!!

Kate F. said...

I just started my own blog about 4 weeks ago. I have been contributing/writing for a national mothers blog for about half a year and was really enjoying it! It was my first "on the job training" in blogging.

I am excited to have my own outlet now, on top of my continued writing for the other blog I contribute to. But it is A LOT of work! I don't know how you get as many great posts up in a week as you do! I struggle for once a week!

Here's my 1st blog post :) Enjoy!

http://onthegomomma.net/2011/07/the-birth-of-a-blog/

K said...

Kate, what an awesome first blog post! I love how you took the idea of birth of a blog and made it so unique. Thank you for sharing this with us!

Kiddothings said...

You know what, my 1st post is so unlike what my blog is today. I am always curious about a blog's first post and will try to read it if I have the time. I think if people were to read my 1st post now, they'd be a little confused. I started my blog out of curiosity and didn't really know what to write about. So I wrote about what was going on in my life at that moment. I also didn't want to just write anything so I set out to write something of value to people. Here read it for yourself and you'll know what I mean

http://kiddothings.blogspot.com/2011/02/whats-in-party-pack.html

K said...

I really like that post about Party Packs! I see how it is different from your blog, but it's got a lot of good information in it! I have several posts in my blog archive from when I first started that I look back at and wonder how they relate to my blog now, but I see them as stepping stones, testing out the water :) Thank you for sharing!

Stasha said...

Dear me, what was my first post? Welcome kind of thing? It was definitely insomnia infused...

Copyright 2011 Zook Book Nook | Designed by: NW Designs