Sunday, July 10, 2011

A Fan of Unconditional Love

At first, I thought it was funny. My husband deploys and my girls go from bad sleepers to the worst. But now it's been three months and my two-year-old has a permanent wake up time somewhere between 4 and 4:30a.m.

Not wake up, like drowsy, let's cuddle Mama. Nope.

Wake up, like I'm ready to start my day! And I'm gonna SCREAM until we go downstairs.

"No Night, Mama!!" my little ray of sunshine says at 4:10 in the morning.

I get it. I "used" to be a 5:30 riser, until I became a mother. Waking at 5:30 let me conquer the world while everyone was still asleep. And I was NEVER grumpy.

But this 4:30 wake up call seven days a week, on my own, well, my pregnant body can't take much more of it. I am Mrs. Grumpy.

In a crowd, you can pick me out:




Yep, that's me.

I was so tired, so grumpy, that after I got my two-year-old down to take a nap, I fell asleep beside her. It didn't last...

10 minutes into my nap my four-year-old came in, missing me, wanting to do an art project with her, needing my cuddles, too.

I hoisted my baby belly up and got an art project set up for her, but refused to help, to sit down with her. I said I couldn't, because I was about to collapse. I laid down on the couch.

And this is what my sweet little girl did, despite my grumpy face, my lack of cuddles:

she made me a fan.

She cut pieces of paper into strips of oval shape, taped the bottoms all together and presented me with it.

"Mama, here's a fan for you. So you can cool yourself when you're not feeling good. Here Mama," she said.

I have no idea where she learned to make a fan.
And I am even more impressed that despite my grumpy side she could still love me, unconditionally.

I never truly understood 'unconditional love' until I became a mother.

How does unconditional love find its way into your arms?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is such a sweet post, the little ones never cease to amaze us. I think unconditional love only comes with the bond between parent and child, everything else has some strings attached, even if they are all good strings.

I know it is really hard for you right now with two little ones and a third on the way, but, cherish as much as you can of it as it will pass all too soon.

K said...

That's what I keep telling myself; this won't last, and despite how difficult it is, I feel kind of sad knowing some day I might miss these moments with my girls when they are so young :)

Unknown said...

oh the tireds are the worst when your pregnant. i feel, rather, felt your pain :) but no worries, there will be other sweet moments you can be a part of. it's the constant battle of motherhood...splitting time between children...just preparing you how to do it one more time!

Abby said...

Boy, do I feel your pain. My 2yo wakes up screaming & ready to go at 5 or 5:30 and I am SO not ready to start my day then. I can't even IMAGINE being pregnant to boot. I start to panic at night if I stay up too late -- on the one hand, I want some time to myself to read, blog, whatever, but on the other hand I know that early wake-up call is coming!

K said...

I am right there with you Abby; I try to go to bed by 8 some nights, only to wake up at midnight as if I had just taken only a nap and then I think about writing and life and I end up with insomnia. But if I stay up late, like tonight, writing, I wake up exhausted in the morning. I so took for granted good sleep when I was a youngster :)

Copyright 2011 Zook Book Nook | Designed by: NW Designs