Thursday, July 14, 2011

Should I go to the BlogHer Conference?

Am I being ridiculous to not attend the BlogHer conference in August? It's only 20 minutes from my house.

It's just that 1) I don't really want to spend the money, 2) I'm not interested in monetizing my blog, 3) if it was a writing conference I'd be there, 4) I just feel too much of a frumpy pregnant mama at the moment to turn on the spunk, and 5) what would I say to anyone I met "Hi, My name is Kim. I blog, but it's small, not too many followers, I'm okay with that. So what do you blog about?"

So cast your vote! Should I suck it up and try to get a babysitter and go?

Please try to convince me!

7 comments:

The Spaghetti Westerner said...

I'm going (first time)! And so excited about it. I can understand your reasons for not wanting to, though.

For me, I'm just excited to learn more about the blogging world and to build even more of a community (which is why I blog).

And a little bit of me is just going so I can bestarstruck by some of the *big* bloggers that will be there. It's sort of like meeting a celebrity.

Sorta Southern Single Mom said...

Without knowing how much it costs, I'd go. It's hard to pass up an opportunity so close to home. Surely you will learn lots above and beyond monetizing you blog!

Kate F. said...

I would totally go if I were you! A great way to meet other bloggers and learn some interesting stuff. Even if you don't plan to monetize your blog, its always good to learn about things that are a part of what your doing - it makes you more well rounded :) You are lucky to be so close! Go for it!

Angie Mizzell said...

I would go if it weren't across the country... but I'd also love to see blog conferences geared towards writers building an audience. I'm not interested in monetizing... but I am interested in voice, how to make personal blogs interesting, etc. I'm also not interested in product reviews and entertaining PR companies. Yet I spend a lot of time working to make my blog better. I just haven't found a good fit conference-wise. I went to writer conference last year, and there was nothing about building a platform via blogging. I think there's a huge disconnect there.

K said...

Yes, this is exactly what I am feeling too Angie. That's why I am debating if it is worth the money to go to the BlogHer conference. I think there might be some great speakers that may address voice and personal blogs, but I also think a lot of bloggers are interested in the aspect of earning money. Mama Spaghetti, I hope you might consider sharing on your blog what you experience at the conference! Kate I really think it would be only beneficial to go, but I just don't know if I should pay the money to do it. I've paid more money in the past only to be disappointed at conferences. So I am just unsure, but leaning towards using the money towards a writing conference instead.

Anonymous said...

I went to the conference in NY last year. Honestly other than getting to meet up with some (now forever) blog friends, it wasn't worth the money. It's kind of like a high school popularity contest. It wasn't for me at all. I only attended two sessions, and left during one of them. It was kind of a 'I'm a blogger so I'll talk all about me' instead if the topic. I found being with my friends and going to the MOMA and Times Square a lot more fun.

K said...

Thank you everyone for your input :) I think this year I'll just wait and save the money for a writing conference. I think it would be fun to go to the BlogHer conference if maybe I wanted to take my blog further in a different direction, but for now I like to just blog as a way of writing. I hope those of you go have fun and learn a lot!!

Copyright 2011 Zook Book Nook | Designed by: NW Designs