
If you haven't noticed I've been on a "blog about blogging" kick since I got back from my blogging vacation. Right now my 8 week old daughter is asleep in my sling while my 2 year old daughter is talking to herself from her bedroom as it is nap time and she loves to talk and read before falling asleep, if she falls asleep.
Looking down at Grace just now I thought about my blog and how often I write about my two girls. There have been ongoing discussions on other blogs on the topic of writing about our children on blogs... Should we use their names? Will they mind that we write about them (the good, the bad, and the funny)? Is it safe to post photos of them?
All of these questions and discussions bring to mind the future of blogs:
- Where do you think blogging will be 25 years from now?
- What will the status of your blog be in 10 years?
- What makes one person continue blogging year after year while others stop?
As a writer-mama I often share stories (the funny, the frustrating, and the mind-boggling ones) on my blog. Every time I hit "Publish Post" I ask myself "Will Ayla and Grace read my blog one day? What will they think of these stories? Will they wish that I had written them in a more personal manner for their eyes only, like in a journal or in their baby books?"
My husband and I write letters to them once a month, so they may read them in the future when they are older. But my blog posts come out more frequently than the letters I write to them. I hope they will enjoy both.
But will my blog, will the blogosphere be around 10, 25 or 50 years from now when our children will be adults, possibly even grandparents? Or will a new form of communication be pushing blogs into the dust?
And will I always blog? I laugh when I imagine myself blogging many many years from now, but there are plenty of people blogging who are in their 80's and higher (at least I've been told that). For bloggers who have been blogging for 4+ years now I wonder if they thought about long-term blogging when they started out.
Do you know how long you'll blog for?
How do you imagine the future of your blog?
I certainly don't want to see my blog bite the dust, but it also won't fit nicely into a little photoalbum (unless I print off each post and everyone's comments). Maybe it will just float around the web for infinity? But in the meantime I hope to keep blogging for a long time to come.
5 comments:
I hope you continue blogging for a long time too!
I love the idea of writing monthly letters to your girls. What an absolute treasure for you and for them!
Grace is beautiful!
I don't think much about the why or when or how of my blog...I just do it. I try to keep things more or less private by keeping my kids' faces and their names off the blog (but since my full name is there it wouldn't be difficult to find them...I'm not too worried about internet stalkers...yet). I have seen my blog evolve over time, and I do have to remind myself to not view every experience through the "would this make a good blog post" lens. I imagine at some point I won't feel compelled to blog anymore, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.
It's so funny that you should write about this today! I was just laughing about how addicted I've become to the blogosphere, and how many ideas (and subsequent hours) I could pour in to my own blog. I think Andrea has it right...just enjoy it now and grow and change, or quit, as necessary. I love your blog, so I hope you don't quit any time soon!
P.S. Adorable picture!!
Great thoughts...I wonder how many people consider how long they will blog for when they start? Personally, I just figured it was long term commitment...but that's me. Guess we'll see what happens with the blogs, in the last 5 years I wonder if the first person who blogged thought it would take off this much...only the future knows..Have a great day!
I've thought of the same questions, and I wonder. I have started a journal for each of my daughters, since I'm not sure my blog will be around in a few years!
Post a Comment