I do, because it helps me get to know the heart of the blogger and her or his reason for sharing stories with us.
After reading about deep links at Moms Without Blogs, I decided to create a Top 10 list of "First Posts" by bloggers (i.e., the posts themselves, why blogs were started, etc). So here are some deep links to some interesting first posts for you to enjoy!
Top 10 List of "First Posts" by Bloggers
10. My First Post... What the Hell Am I Doing? - Many initial posts that I've come across examine a bloggers concerns about exposing their thoughts to the world. We question ourselves. We wonder who is going to read our blogs. And we wonder what to write about.
9. What Is This Blog All About? - For bloggers that begin blogging with a purpose, they may choose to describe the heart and soul of their blog with the first post. Readers know what they're in for by reading these initial posts and the blogger has a defined focus written out.
8. Something They Didn't Cover in Breastfeeding 101 - Sometimes a blog is born and rolling right away with a story! Many blogs start with a bang, because the blogger has an idea or a story that wants to be shared with others.
7. A New Blog - For some bloggers who have been around for awhile (I can't believe some have been blogging since 2005; I had no idea the blogging world was so old) they are ready to start a new blog. An old blog may evolve so much or a blogger may change or a blog may pick up some unwelcome followers... Whatever the reason, a new blog is born!
6. Out on a Limb - Sometimes a blogger has to go back and create a post that she or he dates as the first one in order to have a spot to place some information. It might be the blogger has to describe an ad network for the blog. Or it might be an "About" page once the blogger realizes it would be good to have an "About" page to link to on her or his blog.
5. Welcome to Your Poetic Life! - Blogs may be written by one person, but the blog itself is a community. A community growing and learning from a center focus such as a book or event.
4. About - Sometimes we just need to take a new direction in life, like starting a new job and using a blog to get us rolling with it. (Hint * Stay tuned for a "first" post for a new blog that's being designed)
3. Welcome! - I love blogs and blog posts like these. They are witty, straight-forward, and insightful! I gain such a clear picture of the blogger and I see the blog in a new light after reading a first post like this.
2. Week 1 (Or is it 6?): I'm What?! - Blogs may serve as a tool to document a journey we embark on. My blog started out this way with its first post, and I've certainly traveled far with it. In the case of this link to Diary of a New Mom, it is fun to read her first post and see that now she has two children, so her journey documented in her blog is quite deep!
1. In the Beginning... - A few first posts make me say "Ah ha!" in my head as the light becomes clearer. Initial posts like this one with photos clarify everything and help me reach a deeper understanding of the blog by seeing something for the first time or knowing where they blogger has come from.
I hope this Top 10 list of Initial Posts has been an eye-opener for you! It certainly has helped me think about blogging as I made it.
Don't have a first post? Don't worry! You can create a first post, like a Welcome one and date it to go back in your archive. I didn't have an "About" page for awhile with this blog, so I made one and dated it to go back in the archive so I could link to it in my blog.
Creating new posts and dating them to go back in time makes me wonder if there are any bloggers who write and date all their posts back in time? Maybe this is how there are some bloggers who have been blogging since 2005 or before? Just kidding, I know they've been blogging that long, but still, it makes me wonder...
Please send a link to your first post in the comments!! I may not have read it yet, but I'd like to!
8 comments:
What a brilliant post Kimberly! I love this idea. I have often gone back to read the first posts of some of my favorite bloggers. It's fun to see how much they have changed with their writing and also to see that in many ways they really haven't. I didn't get a chance to read the posts but am looking forward to coming back to do just that!
Have a blessed day!
This is great. I've changed a bit since my first post. My writing has improved, for starters. Looking at the one year anniversary posts is fun to do also.
My first thought - Seriously you didn't! lol My first post was so horrible on the new blog and completely nothing. Fast forward to the last 8 months, I promise it gets waaaay better!
Thanks for linking me though :)
This was informative. And funny too. I love informative and funny! Great combination!
What a cool idea! Thanks for linking to me and you're right on with mine. I recently had to pre date a post so that I could find it easily and it works! :)
That being said I love your suggestion of going back and creating a 'welcome' post if you don't have one already. I've never thought of that and I think I'll do it!
Thanks for the inspiration!! ;)
very fun idea..I'll have to follow those links....
Thanks for linking to me, I'm glad you liked my first and very basic! post. I can't wait to look over the other links you suggested..
Interesting blog Kimberly. It seems that I can learn things about blogging from what you've written. I just started at the end of last year, and would like to work my way up to daily blogging. I'll check in with you from time to time. Blessings.
Post a Comment