Thursday, May 14, 2009

Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop

One of my favorite blogs, Mama's Losin' It, offers a fantastic writing opportunity every week: Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop!
This is my second week participating, so here goes...


The Prompt:
3.)Describe a 'sound' from your childhood. What was it? When did you hear it? What does it bring to mind?

We moved around a lot as a family, but in several states (MI, IN, CO, and IL) I recall loving the rough scraping sound of a shovel digging up snow along cement sidewalks and driveways. As a child I had several inches or feet of snow to play in every winter.

I get all giddy inside when I remember how I used to love waking up to the sound, knowing that my dad or mom was outside clearing a path for my sisters and I, so we could play outside in the snow, knowing that when I padded my way down to our kitchen it would be warm and cozy, knowing that when I came in from the cold I would smell hot chocolate with marshmallows in mugs set out for my sisters and me, knowing that I would be enchanted with a quiet white world for the entire day.

I miss the sound of the shovel. The past several winters generally don't produce a lot of snow, and if there is some snow it either melts quickly or is blown away by noisy, smelly snow blowers all up and down our street. But every time snowflakes do fall from the sky I catch my breath and watch my daughter as she tips her head back and tries to catch the flakes on her tongue.

What smells will make her remember winters fondly? Will she experience deep snow banks to tunnel through and wet thick snow to build snowmen and igloos? We have a handful of children's books about snow and I love reading them to her even if she doesn't quite understand the charm of snow yet. I hope she will one day, many days for many winters.

12 comments:

CJ said...

Lovely memories for you.

Anonymous said...

Just reading that I heard the sound of the shovel. Very neat sound to remember because snow always made me happy (as a child anyway). It meant hours to build a snowman, throw snowballs and be outside till my face froze.

Margo said...

I love my own snow memories. That is definitely one of those sounds that can only mean one thing! I live with my family on the SC coast... so they've grown up without to many snow memories except for a freak snowstorm around 10 years ago when we first moved here. You can bet they remember that. Thanks for helping me remember!

Unknown said...

Aww...I love this! I have lots of snowy memories too, maybe even more since I live in Minne'snow'ta! This was a great post and beautifully written, I could almost see you there playing in the snow!

Amy said...

I am loving the answers to this prompt this week. Your a great writer - I felt like I was right beside you experiencing it for myself and I never even grew up with snow.

Thanks for stopping by and leaving my a wonderful comment.

Jen said...

I know that sound of which you speak.

Nori Duran said...

Thanks for coming to visit me, and thanks for the nice words.

In reference to your entry, the sound of snow is so underrated, but you reminded me that its such a great sound. I think of the times I step on snow and I think of visiting family, Christmas (my favorite holiday), the joy on my girls' faces when they see snow falling... Great post.

Kitty said...

I have always loved snow and am glad someone else has that memory of the scraping shovel! I rememer hearing that too! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

jenn said...

What a cool memory. I couldn't think of any sounds from my childhood. Smells I can remember, but sounds were harder to think of.

Thanks for visiting my blog.

Anonymous said...

This was so beautifully written. It was nice to meet you today! I love books and I can tell you do too!

Jacquie said...

I heard the shovel just from reading this. I miss that sound.

K said...

Thanks for commenting on my writer's workshop post today! It's only my second time participating in Mama Kat's workshop, but I've learned so much already about writing on my blog in a different way and reading the posts of others. I love snow! I just hope our children will get to experience it enough to develop a love for it too.

Copyright 2011 Zook Book Nook | Designed by: NW Designs