
As a mama-writer I've fine-tuned my use of free time so that not a second is wasted. For the past few weeks I've been reading an outstanding book, one that I wanted to continue on when I finished reading the last page!
Nancy Farmer, author of The House of the Scorpion, is an outstanding writer. Her bio is even more impressive and interesting. After reading this novel it inspired me to incorporate more of my hard-core science (genetics, medical genetics, ecology, and evolution) into my writing. Children and adolescents may be beginners in biology, but if communicated in the right way they will find these topics fascinating.
As a mama-writer of a 19 month old, I have begun to see how even toddlers are little scientists, exploring their worlds in order to understand it. Yesterday my daughter Ayla played with three bowls full of hot bubble water with lots of different cups and brushes for over an hour. While it gave me some time to clean the kitchen and prepare her dinner, I couldn't help but watch her in fascination, realizing that I too was learning a bit of science by observing a young mind.
Thanks to Nancy Farmer and my daughter for refreshing my passion for science!
No comments:
Post a Comment