Wednesday, February 25, 2009

A writer-mama in practice

Before I became a mother and a writer I had certain beliefs or intentions about motherhood and being a writer, but now that I am both I've discovered that some of my ideas about being a mom and a writer have changed. Perhaps it isn't so much my ideas about both that have changed, but my role in each and how I perform.

Time has been an essential component in bringing about the change. During our daughter's first months of life as a colicky baby, time seemed to drag as if it were an endless stream of sand pouring out of an hourglass. But now that she is in her toddler stage (and it is much easier to deal with the "two year stage" than the colic baby stage), our days fly by. But I never imagined I would allow my daughter to do a few of the things that she does: watch 30-40 minutes of television a day, eat sweets and chocolate, and play computer games.

As a mama-writer, time has definitely seemed to disappear and I imagine once our second baby is born it may slip away altogether. Nap time and evening time are moments I live for as a writer. But I never imagined that my approach to writing would change as a result. In some ways my writing has become more on target for a particular project, but I also feel that my time and space for creativity and play with practice has diminished.

Despite these changes, there have been numerous surprises that I've welcomed. Each day I become a better mother and writer mainly because of the experiences my daughter brings to my life, enriching it and giving me a joy I never imagined I would feel.

No comments:

Copyright 2011 Zook Book Nook | Designed by: NW Designs