Here at the Zook Book Nook, I like a thought-provoking read.
So I present to you my "work-in-progress" list of my favorite literary works that have enriched my mind and soul. (I will keep adding to it over time.) They may have made me laugh, cry, or jump out of my chair, but they've also given me so many thoughts to reflect on and grow from.
I hope you'll find this list of insightful books useful on a cold winter day when snow-bound or on a hot summer day when home-bound in the AC.
Top Favorite Books at Zook Book Nook
1. ??? (I'm still undecided on my all-time favorite book; the rest of this list is in no particular order; however, I want to say this spot for my favorite book once I figure it out)
2. The Pillars of the Earth - by Ken Follett
3. World Without End - by Ken Follett
4. The Shack - by William P. Young
5. Memoirs of a Geisha - by Arthur Golden
6. Anna Karenina - by Leo Tolstoy
7. Fahrenheit 451 - by Ray Bradbury
8. The Hunger Games - by Suzanne Collins
9. Lord of the Flies - by William Golding
10. Life of Pi - by Yann Martel
11. The Time Traveler's Wife - by Audrey Niffenegger
12. The Lovely Bones - by Alice Sebold
13. The Glass Castle - by Jeannette Walls
14. The Namesake - by Jhumpa Lahiri
15. The Witch of Blackbird Pond - by Elizabeth George Speare
16. Island of the Blue Dolphins - by Scott O'Dell
17. to be continued
11 comments:
I too love Memoirs of a Geisha, Hunger Games, Time Traveler's Wife .. have you read The Snow Flower and the Secret Fan? so so good. one of my favorites.
Oh good! Thanks Cristina, two new books I haven't read yet! I was hoping this list might bring in comments with new titles for me :) Thank you!!!
Kimberly, I'm going to go old. My favorite book of all time is The Count of Monte Cristo. A close second is Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier. I recently read Villette by Charlotte Bronte and was charmed by Lucy Snowe.
Shopgirl by Steve Martin made me cry it was so gorgeous.
Several of your listed books I also love. Thanks for reminding me of some things on my reading list that I still need to tackle!!
Great list! I loved The Hunger Games. Have you read The Book Thief? It touched me to the core and I cried like a child while reading. Soooo good!
The Shack seems to be a "loved it" book or "didn't like it" book. I'm in the latter group.
Fahrenheit 451 was a nice surprise. I read it early this year.
The Glass Castle - a page turner for sure.
Island of the Blue Dolphins - I read parts of it with my 11 year old daughter. She liked it a lot.
Like Cristina, I read Snow Flower and the Secret Fan. I recommend it, too. It's about female bonding, Chinese foot binding, and so much more. The author did a really good job researching Chinese history.
I like a quote by Henry David Thorou (I've butchered his last name). Anyway, I believe it is, "Read all the best books first, or you may not be able to read them at all.)
Thanks for prompting us to talk about books!
Loved Island of the Blue Dolphins as a kid! Glad to see another adult enjoys it as well!
I find it so interesting how some readers may love a book and others may dislike just as strongly. Like the book called Ishmael by Daniel Quinn, so many people rave about it, but I just can't get into it. I think certain books 'speak' more strongly to me at different points in my life, while other books are like going back home by reading them again and again over the years.
Thanks for sharing your list of favourite books. I should force myself to read some of them ;)
Some terrific books on that list. Will have to check the few I haven't read yet :)
You included a few I haven't read yet. Excited to give them a go. Thanks!
Such a great list! I LOVED The Time Traveler's Wife. If you haven't read THE VANISHING ACT OF ESME LENNOX by Maggie O'Farrell, I would highly recommend that as a though-provoker!
Post a Comment