Monday, September 12, 2011

Will You Marry Me?

My four- and two-year-old daughters fight over who gets to marry their daddy.
Even though I remind them that I am married to him, they each claim that they get to marry him.
Finally, it gets settled: "Mama marries Daddy on Saturday and Sunday" while my girls get to marry him on alternating weekdays!

Then a few days ago, my oldest daughter offered a new solution.
She asked her younger sister, "Will you marry me? I'm nice."
And my youngest daughter smiled and nodded yes.

I listened, smiling at the simplicity of her proposal.

The criteria, the aspirations, the standards, the traits... everything we look for in a partner, a lover, a mate, a best friend, a spouse can feel like an enormous list, but perhaps long ago a proposal was backed with such simple statements like the one my daughter offered.


I have a job.
I have a house.
I have a plow.
I have a piece of land.
I have a trade.
I have a skill.
I have a respected family name.
I have two hands and a strong back.

I cherish the simplicity in my daughters' eyes. It makes the spin of the crazy, busy world slow down and stop for me. I remember what life and love is all about.


10 comments:

Unknown said...

It makes the spin of the crazy, busy world slow down and stop for me.

We all need that sometimes. I'm glad your daughters can provide it for you :). They sound like cute little girls :)

Crystal said...

Too freaking cute! I remember being a little girl and wanting to "marry" my daddy... Oh, and congrats on the bun in the oven!! :-)

Barbara said...

How sweet is this! I love how innocent kids are at this age.

Kiddothings said...

Your girls are so cute. I'm waiting for the day my son will propose to me.

Alison said...

The innocence of children continuously astounds me.

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

So sweet! These are the moments to write down - the ones you are sure you'll never forget, but speaking from sleep-deprived experience, you do :)

Angela Brown said...

Awww...that is really precious :-)

I have one more to add to your list...though it would have to come from the dear maiden:

I have a dowry.

Anonymous said...

That is too cute of them. :)

-Nellie

Anita said...

May they always maintain some form of that simplicity.

K said...

Angela, I love your contribution "I have a dowry." I didn't even think about that perspective for some reason. Thank you!

Copyright 2011 Zook Book Nook | Designed by: NW Designs