Long ago my husband deployed.
(Six months is a long time in the land of a pregnant mommy chasing after her four- and two-year-old daughters)
After I lost sight of his ship on the horizon, I came home and plugged myself into blogging.
Blogging became my lifesaver, keeping me afloat through the highs and lows of this deployment by having an outlet at the end of the day when I struggled to stay sane.
Blogging is a therapeutic form of medicine, especially for a pregnant mama missing her husband.
So here I sit, anticipating the first speck of my husband's ship on the horizon in a handful of weeks and finding myself wondering where will I go with my blog...
I can no longer see my toes, as our third daughter will make her grand entrance at the end of November.
I can no longer keep up with our other two daughters as they bolt up the stairs and run around naked before bath time.
I can no longer sit in my writing chair for more than 10 minutes before my 10 little toes become swollen piggies.
Sigh.
My creative juices are spent.
My body is conserving all of its energy to sustain me until my husband gets home.
During this deployment I realized that "I can do this," and more importantly, that the only thing I am looking forward to with the end of this deployment is being with my husband.
Honestly, the thoughts of "good, now he can take over" or "finally, someone else to wash the dishes and pick up toys" or "it's my turn to sleep in" have not crossed my mind. Abigail Green of Abby Off the Record recently hosted me on her blog for two days about being a temporary single mom, and one of her readers made a comment that really hit home.
Malia Jacobson wrote, "Owning the difficulties of parenting (along with the good times) without needing him to rescue me has freed me from a lot of resentment."
And this is so true for me. I just want my husband home to hear his laughter, to feel his warmth, to see him play Tutti Frutti with our daughters, to feel the house fill up with his presence.
And this is why I question what will become of my blog.
I may take off a week, a month, or longer from blogging. Or maybe I won't. Maybe I will feel the creative juices start to flow again. Maybe I will feel inspired by the birth of our third little girl. Maybe I will receive an acceptance letter for a manuscript or a notice that one of my short stories won in a contest and I'll want to share my news on my blog...
But as I sit here, feeling like I've got a case of the blogging blaahgs because of being utterly exhausted, I know one thing: when I step on board my husband's ship in one month (after waddling up the bridge) I will melt into my husband's arms and I will no longer need a lifesaver to stay afloat.
I will want to be with him instead of in front of my computer writing on my blog.
So I just wanted to write this post in case any of my readers have been feeling let down that I have not been coming to your blog and commenting as much as I used to. I sincerely love your blogs as much as I love my blog. My blog means a great deal to me as it is a place for me to explore my thoughts and feelings. And I am so grateful to all of you for keeping me afloat during my husband's deployment.
I hope this message doesn't appear as if I am abandoning you. I won't be, I just may not be present as often as I have been.
I'm going to continue writing on my blog and reading your blogs, but I just don't know when and how often, so I thought it best to share with you the reasons behind my absence.
Blogging has been a mothership in a way for the past several months, but my true source of inspiration is soon to be rekindled: being with my husband and daughters, all together.

23 comments:
I think people understand. I hope you enjoy being with your hubby again,. Wee ones take a lot out of you, rest and relax. Congrats on the baby!
Priorities. It's all about priorities... And family is first. Always should be. ALWAYS.
So excited and happy for your soon-to-be reunion!
I am so happy reading this, so excited for you. What a great way to find out how beautiful your life is.
I totally understand. Don't worry about the visiting and commenting. You just go ahead and enjoy your family Kim. Time with them is so precious.
You have two darlings and a third on the way with a hubby returning after serving his country abroad. To that I say God Bless you, your family and when you return, we in the writing community will be here. Anyone who feels abandoned because you spend time with a man you've missed for several months...send them MY way and I'll put some blogger smackdown on them :-)
Very happy that all is coming together for you and seeing your blog less will only make it more fun and more valuable to read. Take time, enjoy, we'll all still be around rooting for you.
I can't even imagine how great it is going to feel to be reunited with your husband. That is an amazing time that you should cherish as a family. Enjoy it.
I agree w/Kate. It is all about priorities and family first, blog somewhere far behind.
Enjoy your reunion!
Oooh, I'm so happy for you that he's coming home soon! May you have a joyous reunion, and I hope the birth of your third daughter goes well. :-)
You take all the time you need. Family comes first, always. Your readers will be here, rooting for you. So glad you will see your husband soon!
It's all as it should be :)
You must do what is best for you. We'll be here as and when you want to drop in :-)
I understand where you are. I've taken several hiatuses... or not "kept my word" in terms of a blogging schedule. I get antsy when I've let a week slip by and I haven't commented on my favorite blogs. In some ways, blogging and social media perpetuate that sense of urgency that often leaves us feeling exhausted and frazzled. But online friends are like real life friends, the best ones stick around, regardless of one's ability to post, comment or swap tweets on a regular basis. :) I'm so excited for all you have to look forward to! Take care of you!
What's beautiful about blogging is that you can come back if and when you're ready. In the meantime, what a wonderful, joyous time for you and your family! May it be filled with happiness and blessings.
I don't think anything will compare to having your husband home again and your little one in your arms. No apologies are necessary!! And you're right about the letting go of the resentment when you're a single parent...I know my experience doesn't come close...but my husband was in the hospital for 10 days, just got out last Friday and it will take MONTHS to recover from his surgery, and all I kept thinking was I just want him home, I don't care that he is the garbage-taker-outer, so I totally get it! Hang in there, Kim...you're almost there!
P.S. You better at least put some pics of that baby on here, even if you don't write for a while ;)
Lovely post, Kimberly. Enjoy having your whole family together!
I've only been visiting your blog for a short time, but will miss you! Enjoy your family.
When you can blog, we'll all be around ready with words of encouragement and support. ;-)
I have three daughters myself (now 11, 9 & 6). They age so quickly. If only I could slow down time. *sniff, sniff*
Best of luck with hubby coming home and baby #3 joining such a lovely family.
*hugs*
Thank you everyone so much for being so understanding and so supportive!! I can't wait to put some photos on here of the homecoming when my husband gets to pick up his girls and hug them and of our third baby girl's arrival!! My girls come out big 8-10 lbs. and red as swollen tomatoes! I can't wait!!! It is encouraging for me to read your comments and to know that everyone has the same priority before blogging! Thank you!!
Oh my goodness, you are a busy lady - thanks for making the time to write and blog your story. :) Congrats on the new baby on the way.
Visiting via Group 53 over at the Campaign!
This is a lovely post - glad you have found blogging helpful while your hubby has been away. Wish you all the best with the birth of your third daughter, and a happy re-union with your husband.
Will look forward to your posts when you have the time - but totally understand that you will have other priorities.
JoAnna
(Helen Clancy)
Sounds like you have a ton on your plate right now! Love that quote by Malia Jacobsen too! Wow, that is so powerful!
I found you on The Writer Revived and am a fellow campaigner.
Many Blessings,
Jenny
Found your blog from a link on "The Writer Revived". I agree w/Kate, who said that family comes first...always. Take care of yourself and your little lovlies. Sending lots of good thouhts, prayers, karma for your husband's return.
I'm not a daily blog writer or reader. Like you, I wish I did have the time to do more.
A lot of us feel as you do. We greatly appreciate our readers, many of whom have become our bloggy friends, however, sometimes we have to be absent.
You, of all people, have one of the best reasons to be "absent" from visiting other blogs: mother of very young children, pregnant, and temporarily without husband. That's a lot. Guess I don't have to tell you that. :)
Thank you for being concerned about our feelings.
Post a Comment