Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Writing a Great Hook

"I write this sitting in the kitchen sink."
(Dodie Smith in I Capture the Castle)

You know it when you read one.

"It was a pleasure to burn."
(Ray Bradbury in Fahrenheit 451)
Your eyelids raise. 
Your mind brightens. 
Your lips form "Wow." 
You get giddy.

"In the beginning, sometimes I left messages in the street."
(David Markson in Wittgenstein's Mistress)

You're hooked.


"Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins."
(Vladimir Nabokov in Lolita) 

And it all happened within a breath of a few words.

How do you write an opening that hooks the reader 
and nails her to her seat?

We're about to find out!

At the end of this month, I will be hosting the Hooked on Hooks event, where writers can link up on my blog with their own hooks for their Works-In-Progress, so we can comment and critique the hooks. In perspiration preparation for this event, made possible through Rach Writes Third Platform-Building Campaign, I decided to try and stitch together the key points of a great hook based on what I've learned from some amazing authors.

Writing a Great Hook

Ann Whitford Paul

Dive Into Your Story with the 6 W's:
Who is the main character
What is the problem, goal, or conflict
When does the story occur
Where is it taking place
What is the tone of the story
WOW! the reader with the opening line

8 Ways to Create a WOW! with the First Line:
Time
Mood
Setting
Opinion
Provocative Statement
Middle of the Action
Conflict
Scrapbook (letter, journal entry, newspaper article)

Les Edgerton
Author of Hooked
(This entire book is about the opening of your WIP,
so I'll only pick out some key points)

First Line Successes:
Give the reader an unexpected response to an event
Give the reader a character who is "cut out of different cloth than Everyman"
Give the reader trouble (either past, present, or future)
Give the reader pleasure, then "drop the forbidden apple into your Garden of Eden"
Give the reader a reason to read the second sentence; provoke the reader's curiosity

Openings to Avoid:
A dream
An alarm clock buzzing
Too little dialogue
Opening with dialogue

James Scott Bell

Grab the Reader:
Action
Raw Emotion
Look-Back Hook
Attitude
Prologues

Bond the Reader and Character:
Identify with being a real human being
Sympathy (from jeopardy, hardship, underdog, vulnerability)
Likability
Inner conflict


These authors provide much more detail on the topic of writing hooks,
but the best way to learn is to read and write.
That's what the Hooked on Hooks event is all about!
We're going to write, write, write,
then share and read and comment.
So please come back on Friday September 30th!

Have you written a post about hooks on your blog?
Please leave the URL to that post in my comments!

Helen is in the short story campaign with me,
and recently wrote about... HOOKS! and HOOKS! and more HOOKS!
Three unique and resourceful posts by Helen that all of us will learn from,
so thank you Helen!


If you'd like some examples of great first line sentences, please use the following links:



Keep working on your hooks, writers!

And come back on Friday September 30th to link your "hook" post to my linky Hooked on Hooks!






19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello there! Dropping in from the Campaign :D

Hooks intimidate me. I haven't really thought about them much, other than to shy away from them, since I've barely finished one manuscript (first draft), and only started on three others . . .

However, since I don't like the idea of hooks, I should probably start working on them now . . .

Thanks for the tips, I think they'll come in handy!

Kimberly said...

My fav first line(s) is in Marian Keyes novel, Watermelon. It says: "February the 15th is a very special day for me. It is the day I gave birth to my first child. It is also the day my husband left me. As he was present at the birth I can only assume that the two events weren't entirely unrelated".

Angela Brown said...

These are some awesome tips. I'll have to take a look at what I've got going with my WIP.

I didn't do a blog on hooks, however I mention a couple of openings of interest to me.

http://publishness.blogspot.com/2011/07/openings.html

Shannon Lawrence said...

Sounds fun! I do love me a good hook.

Dora Hiers said...

Awesome post, K. So many great tips here. Think I'll print it out and hang it near my desk. I'm looking forward to your Hooked on Hooks event.

Anonymous said...

I like this. I love lines that have me going Ooo, what's next?

Please make sure to remind us about this event, I don't want to forget.

Crystal said...

Hooks are super-important - they are the vacuum that sucks us into the story! Thanks for the tips. :-)

Galit Breen said...

I LOVE the tips and the link up idea!

You? Are inspiring!

Julie Flanders said...

What a great idea, I will definitely be here on the 30th. This post is really helpful, thanks for sharing. Great timing for me as I have just started over again on my first novel, and am working on trying to come up with a great hook.

I'm glad we connected through the Campaign, I'm looking forward to following your blog. :)

Mom of 12 said...

I love the reading pic from yesterday. What was the hook in her story? She looks pretty involved.
Sandy

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

Oh the rules of writing. For every one of these no-no's there is a writer out there that did just that and made a million bucks. How do you like them apples?

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

Awesome post full of great tips and I can't wait for Sept. 30! One question from the under=represented - do you have a list of great openings for picture books?

K said...

Susanna, I searched for a great list of openings for children's books, but haven't been able to find one yet. Maybe one will come from the campaign :) That would make for a great post on your blog as a lot of your readers probably have their favorites!!

Michael I agree, I think it is possible successful authors have started off with a no-no opening but pulled it off! I don't think I'm that talented yet :)

Thank you everyone for your comments! I'll be sure to send out a reminder as we get closer to the event. I'm looking forward to reading your hooks!

Brenda Sills said...

Wow! What an astounding post! Thank you so much for all you put into it. And I really love your blog! You're a real gem. I'm a fellow campaigner in the Women's Fiction/Chicklit group.
My book is Women's Fiction - I think - I'm having a hard time figuring out where it belongs. I'll be anxious to come back for your Hooked On Hooks event & maybe someone can advise me on that.
I'm so happy to meet you!

Jessica Peter said...

Great, I'm pumped to get into it! (A fellow campaigner here)

Sandwiched Writer said...

Interesting post!

One of my favorites is from the first lines of Nabakov's Lolita:

"... Lo-lee-ta: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth. Lo. Lee. Ta."

I'm a fellow campaigner and hope to see you around the proverbial campaign trail!

Sharon Clare said...

Fellow campaigner here getting caught up. Hooks, what a great idea. I love an author who hooks us on the first and last line of every chapter, every scene. Harlan Coben comes to mind. You just can't put his books down! Looking forward to reading more here!

Enid Wilson said...

Great suggestions! But I prefer a short sentence to start with.

Every Savage Can Reproduce

Cortney Pearson said...

Hi I'm also dropping in from the Campaign. This is a great post on hooks, and I'm looking forward to your blog event on the 30th!

Copyright 2011 Zook Book Nook | Designed by: NW Designs