Memories of reading for six hours straight or watching three romantic comedies back to back are bittersweet. How did I ever have the time to run two hours a day five days a week? How did I get lost oil painting for eight hours straight without feeling hungry or tired?
Sleep, I took it for granted when I had it so good.
These days I can barely catch my breath, let alone sit down and put my feet up.
Once a week my daughters are both at school (a Mom's Morning Out) for a few hours. I rush home to mow the lawn, walk our puppy and write. Or I clean the house. Or I run errands. But I never, NEVER, relax. I push myself to fill every single second of my free time with work.
But this week, I did something I haven't done for years. Years!
I bought a Twinkie (the last one I ate occurred in the early 90's) and the September Oprah magazine.
I came home to an empty house, and put the puppy in the backyard.
I sat down on the couch and put my feet up.
And I read my magazine, cover to cover, while enjoying every morsel of my Twinkie.
And best of all, I didn't feel a single ounce of guilt.
I don't know what made today different than my other free days. Why did I buy a Twinkie and the Oprah magazine? I don't know. But it felt so good!
When was the last time you truly indulged yourself without sweating the guilt out on the side?

7 comments:
Good. For. You! Every once in a while I do that (although for me it is usually Doritos!) It's funny to think about what we used to do when we actually had "time." I literally don't remember the last time I sat down and watched romantic comedies back to back (my favorite too!) But I know, at some point, I used to do that??? I think???
I don't remember when was the last time I indulged. But I miss it. And reading this made me happy. In fact your blog is five minutes of me time. I usually hurry through my reader in the morning but I always leave yours for the evening. With ice cream.
Thank you Kate and Stasha! I don't remember the last time I relaxed without feeling guilty. I don't think I've even relaxed AND felt guilty either.
I always visit both of your blogs before I sign off at night :) It's a great way to end my day!
Haha! You're so cute here indulging on a twinkie. Boy, I can't remember the last time I indulged on something. I have to rush through most things nowadays, even when I'm eating my most favourite foods. I might have forgotten how to indulge.
Free time twinkies, a new anthem for busy people!!
I don't know why I never seem to have any free time, I seem to fill up every day and night with stuff that has to be done. I guess it's part of my A something or the other personality.
I will say that when the lovely Miss TK decides to go out shopping on her own that I may have a little free time on a weekend day. I usually turn on the music, ramp up the laptop and try to play catch up. The other choice is trying to read the 5 or 6 magazines that I have ignored during the week and get caught up.
The most fun thing for me is to sit back, close my eyes and do a little power nap for about 30 minutes with no music, no noise, just nothing going on. That is something I may get to do every couple of weeks or so. Oh yeah, maybe some peanut M&M's as a little post power nap indulgence.
The trick is to never feel guilty about it....it's your time to enjoy; so free up those twinkies and power them down.
You all make me smile! Here I wrote this post thinking I was being silly for the joy I got from eating a Twinkie, and thanks to you I feel like it was well-deserved. Maybe there will be more Twinkies in my future, although I'd better limit them!
Good for you :) Sounds well-deserved! I used to love twinkies, but can't remember the last time I had one, or the last time I just sat down and relaxed for a few minutes for that matter... you've inspired me :)
Post a Comment