Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Stepping Into Shoes

We often hear ourselves saying "I wear many hats," but what we don't always talk about are the numerous shoes we step into every day.

Being a mom means feeling quite alone...

I am the only one on this planet who is going on three hours of sleep.
No other mother has to deal with a sick dog and a sick child at the same time.
Those other moms, the ones who publish novel after novel, 
they all have full-time, live-in nannies, right?
Everyone else is having a date night, while I'm the only one alone in a house with sleeping children.

But blogging let's us know, despite our reservation to trust it, that in fact, we are not alone. Quite possibly in this very moment another mom is alone in front of her computer, with her little ones tucked asleep, her husband deployed half-way around the world, and she is lonely.

I tentatively try to step into her shoes.

And she isn't the only one. I attempt to imagine what it might feel like to be in the shoes of the mom who locked her keys and children inside her car or in the shoes of the dad who coaches his son's soccer team or in the shoes of the mom who works 50 hour weeks or in the shoes of the mom who is single and deploys, leaving her child with her elderly mother or the dad who comes to the playground every day with his children and stares at his phone the entire time...

Several years ago I listened to a man giving a talk about measuring sticks.

He asked us, "Do you measure the people around you with your own personal measuring stick?"

He continued on to question "Who are you to measure someone else's morals and actions with your own stick?"

And I looked around, I still look around sometimes, and realize I am judging. I am assuming I know what a person is thinking, feeling, living.

But I don't.

Who am I to judge?

When my hair has gone unwashed for two days, my shirt has stains, my two-year-old's mouth is showing evidence of the morning's breakfast, and my four-year-old's sassy mouth is drawing attention, I wonder "Is someone judging me?" They don't know the whole story of why we all appear this way. They only see the surface of the moment.

And that is all they get.

So I tuck my measuring stick away. I've learned to appreciate the challenges of being a parent, and know that many others have it a lot rougher than me:
A mom who gives birth to twin boys with four other children at home and her husband deploys a month later.
Parents who deal with fear on a daily basis that their five-year-old's disease may take her life. 
A father who is struggling to understand why his four-year-old daughter refuses to talk after her mother, his wife, left them...

Stepping into shoes... I don't know if it makes a difference, but at least it reminds me not to judge, not to think I am alone, and not to believe no one has it rougher than me. It helps me to appreciate every moment I have every day.


17 comments:

Barbara said...

This post really got to me because I judge more often than I should. I know it's something that I really need to work on! Thanks for the reminder.

Angela Brown said...

Oh wow...this is such a needed post. As the saying goes, "you never know my truth until you walk a mile in my shoes."

So true...we (*raising hand shamefully*) tend to judge much more than we should.

Anonymous said...

A great reminder to keep an open mind. Thank you.

Heather said...

I was laughing a minute ago from a funny post on another blog, now I sit here swallowing tears...

Oh this campaign is a wonderful thing that is allowing me to read so many beautiful perspectives!

I, too, am a mommy who tries not to judge...and pray that others do not judge me...

Sarah Tokeley said...

Judging is something that we are all guilty of time, it's such a shortcut way of thinking we 'know' another person, even when they are strangers.

What you talk about here is such a hard, but necessary, lesson to learn, remember and and keep on applying.

Thank you for the reminder.

Dora Hiers said...

Awesome post, Kimberly. Thanks for the gentle reminder.

And thanks for all you do behind the scenes supporting and encouraging your hubby so he can serve our country. I appreciate both of you!

Anonymous said...

You are definitely not alone we all do a little judging in spite of our good intentions. The key is to realize that we are doing it and ask ourselves if there is something we can do to help another person. Maybe a little knowing look that says you've been there too.
If one tries to live the right way, be kind and caring and follow the Golden Rule as best we can, the judging will gradually slip away.

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

You write so beautifully about such important and meaningful things. This one is a good reminder.

Jen said...

Great post, Kim. I am guilty of judging others far too often. Thanks for the reminder :)

K said...

Thank you everyone for commenting. I hope my post didn't make it seem like I was trying to remind you; I was writing it to remind myself :) I've written posts on my blog in the past about events involving people that have upset me, and I always feel slightly unsettled after I write them, because I feel like I am judging and there is no way I know the whole picture. And even if I did know the whole picture, what makes me the one to judge, I shouldn't. But it is something I struggle with, so I try to always step into the other person's shoes.

Anonymous said...

OH, I LOVE this post. LOVE. :)

Galit Breen said...

I adore this. An elegant, thoughtful reminder. Thanks for that.

MommyMandi said...

Very touching! I have been trying so hard not to judge others. And I'm very guilty of feeling like I'm being judged. We are not alone.

Alison said...

You may have written this as a reminder for yourself Kim, but it's a reminder for us all to not judge and be mindful of others. Thank you.

Crystal said...

You're so right. I'm really working hard to live by the saying "be kinder than necessary for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle." Kudos to you for trying to walk in the shoes of others! :-)

Kate F. said...

This is a fabulous post! And yet another reminder why I love blogging:

"But blogging let's us know, despite our reservation to trust it, that in fact, we are not alone."

Another thing that this post reminded me of is my own growth in the realm of "judgement." The more I recognize other people judging me, the more I recognize to NOT judge others... but we all do it sometimes. And we ALL compare others using our own "measuring stick".

Fabulous post Kimberly!

January Dawn said...

How honest and on point you are here! We never know a person's story until we hear it and even then we still don't truly know what it's like...what they go through. Wonderful, wonderful post.

Copyright 2011 Zook Book Nook | Designed by: NW Designs