Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Measures of a Mother


I never knew...

   how many inches my baby belly could expand

   the worry over how many ounces my baby lost after birth

   the relief of shedding pounds after giving birth

   the number of miles I'd travel back and forth to the doctor's office during the first 12 months of life

   how my heart can feel as heavy as a ton with love when my daughters give me a good-bye kiss at school

   how my heart can be buoyant by my daughters' unconditional love

   the square feet I'd assess for boundaries to keep my daughters safe

   how quickly I could cross a few feet to prevent a fall

   how many pounds I could carry in each arm when both of my girls need to be held

   the number of gallons of bubble bath I'd use just to hear squeals and giggles before bedtime


How are you measured as a mother?

5 comments:

Stasha said...

How many hours a day I can happily spend with the same little person within 5 feet of me.
Beautiful post Kim.

Anonymous said...

A wonderful post and a great list to keep and look at as they grow up.

Elle said...

Very beautiful post!

How my heart feels like it's going to turn into a puddle and the love I feel is indescribable whenever my 2 year old daughter calls out for me even though I'll only be in the other room and she'll run to me and give me a kiss. It's absolute mommy bliss.

"the square feet I'd assess for boundaries to keep my daughters safe"

"how quickly I could cross a few feet to prevent a fall"

Those two perfectly describe what amazes me on a daily basis and what happens several times a day with having a toddler. :) xx

Would it be okay if I link this post on my site sometime?

K said...

Stasha, I love that you wrote hours. Some days I feel like minutes when I am tired or on the grumpy side, but hours is what I am grateful for :)

Thank you Lou; I think I will keep this on file for my girls to read one day. My husband and I set up an email account for each of our daughter's when they were born and we write letters to them every so often, for them to read when they are older. I think I will send them this post in an email :)

Elle, please feel free to share this. I'd love to see your list of measures too! I love all of the random hugs and kisses I get. It's as if their little hearts can't manage the overwhelming feeling of love and need and they just have to express it!

McKenna said...

What a great post. I love how quickly I can calm fears and stop tears. Always makes me feel like I have the most important job in the world.

Copyright 2011 Zook Book Nook | Designed by: NW Designs