Nope. That's not for me.
I have a brain child: "Hey, I'm going to throw a birthday party for my daughter. Her daddy is deployed. This will give her something to cheer about."
And then I announce it. Send out invitations, immediately. Invite a dozen of her preschool classmates. And then I think about. Then I sleep on it. Or should I say, I toss and turn, and get up at 3 in the morning and say "What the heck was I thinking?"
So that's my curse, my fault (one of many), but I am here to tell you:
I did survive!
Over the weekend I had a bunch of munchkins over. My daughter, dressed in her mermaid Halloween costume, was the loudest, the most excitable, and she loved it.
So how did I survive doing this all alone with my husband deployed on a ship half-way around the world? This is how...
- I smiled sweetly at the parents and blocked the door from any that arrived thinking they could simply "drop their children off."
- I apologized for the menacing Batman pinata hanging from our railing right when you walk in the front door, but its presence let it be known to all kiddos "Behave, Or Else."
- I designated our family room to be the "dress up station" and had two big boxes full of dress up clothes, so the parents had to parent all of the children as they could not tell which one was actually their child.
- I loaded the children up with sugar right at the end of the party, so that the children left just as their sugar highs started to kick in.
- I had our babysitter stay for the whole two hours. God bless her!
- Other than the Spiderman cupcakes (Yes, my daughter wanted a Superhero themed birthday party), I did not cook a single thing for the party. (Thank you Pizza Hut; you made a pretty penny. I'm still waiting to win free pizzas by doing the surveys)
- I used tape on the tails, so Pin the Tail on the Donkey game didn't turn into "Who can poke each other's bum with a tack?"
- I designated my two-year-old daughter to be the food monitor, as her favorite thing to do is sit and eat and eat and eat while all of the other children were off shrieking and causing all kinds of ruckus.
- I put a Bean Bag Toss Game in the corner for any child who got in trouble, so it would keep that child out of more trouble.
- I inhaled the smell of wine through the corks after the last party goer had left, and promised myself that as soon as the baby is born, well as soon as the baby is big enough not to be nursing every two hours, I will savor a glass of wine.
And Taa Daa! I did survive!!And a big thank you to Stasha of The Good Life for letting me join her Monday Listicles! I know it's not a list of 10 words, but I had to write about my adventure over the weekend :)

16 comments:
You always amaze me with your strength and indipendence. Gotta love a girl wanting superhero party!
Back in Europe having a glass of wine during pregnancy or nursing is not that unheard of. Just saying.
This was great! I love that she wanted a super hero theme!
It's supposed to just be words? Well, crap. Guess I'll be doing another post. Glad I haven't linked yet! Guess I missed that part in the memo, lol!
These are actually great tips for throwing (surviving) a party. Enjoyed reading your list here.
What a great Mom you are! Fun party for the kids, making sure the parents stay involved and being a SuperHero for your girls. Nope, they won't realize it for many years, but, you are and they will.
My daughter woke up one day and loved superheroes (princesses bit the dust). She knows a dozen of them by name and superpowers. For the past six nights her story request has been a superhero saving my daughter, who has been turned into a swan by an evil witch. So maybe the Swan Princess is still around :)
Thanks everyone for stopping by! It was a fun party, but we're still recovering! Maybe next year we'll just take our girls to Disneyland, I'm sure that will be easier.
I will never understand how anyone can think they can drop a four year old at a birthday party and leave.
But I've only got one child for the moment so it's quite possible I'm missing the big picture.
The dress-up station is a brilliant idea & so was hiring your sitter & ordering pizza! I find myself going overboard & stressing about parties, too, and when it's all over I realize the kids had a blast & could care less about the stuff I was worried about.
Those superhero decorations look VERY familiar! (Says the mom of a Batman fan.)
You are a brave woman! I loved that you "blocked the door"!! That made me laugh. And that Batman pinata is AWESOME!!
I love that first one on the list. I think it's just so rude to "drop-and-leave" your kid at the party. Why do people do this? I would rather their whole family stayed and have fun, instead of making me feel like a convenient daycare provider...
I think number one was the smartest thing ever. Seriously. Ever.
I was really happy that both moms and dads came with some of the children, and most everyone was hands on so that helped! I can't imagine dropping my child off at a stranger's house, even if my child is friends with the son or daughter.
Good for you for surviving! I love the theme, it looks like a great time.
Great tips (would have been helpful if our parties weren't on the same day!) I was really surprized that one dad dropped his daughter off at our party and didn't stay, especially since all the parents stayed at her party just last month. I have 2 more tips for you: first, have the party somewhere other than your house so that you don't have to clean before and after the party. It will cost you a bit to rent somewhere, but it's really worth it. Secondly, plan the party at a non-meal time so that you don't have to feed everyone. Mom's don't normally eat much at parties anyways.
Good for you for organizing the party yourself. you're much braver than I am!
Congrats! They say fools rush in where angels fear to tread...but sometimes rushing in makes it all work out, while thinking and mulling and pondering makes everything seem much, much scarier. I had a bday party for my 4 year old and ALL his nursery school friends when baby #2 was 3 months old, hanging off my neck in one of those sling carriers. I think it went well. On the other hand, i was soooo tired that I remember pretty much nothing. Luckily, neither does the 4 year old.
I had to laugh out loud. I'm hiring you for my next kids party!
Kati those are great ideas! Next time I think I will host the party at a location other than my house. I thought having the party from 3 to 5 would mean not having to serve a lot of food, but the children and parents ate a lot of the pizza, which I was thrilled about, but it made me wonder if I should have had more food available. Even the veggie plate was devoured.
Post a Comment