Social media is powerful. It gives new meaning to "the voice of change."
Narrow social media down to just blogging, and it is an opportunity to make waves with a few hundred to thousands of people.
What waves are you creating with your blog?
I'm not suggesting you start an uprising to ensure social security for when we retire or to strike out against the failures of systems or to put up a tirade against your cranky old neighbor who mows his lawn at 6 in the morning.
I am drawing attention to the idea that we bloggers open minds to issues, to circumstances, to experiences, and to ideas. Can we can take it one step forward?
- Blog to connect.
- Blog to unite people.
- Blog to raise awareness.
- Blog to provide support for a human being.
- Blog to inspire others to step into the shoes of another.
- Blog to enlist others to make a difference for a community hit with destruction.
- Blog to bring improvements to the lives of children born to poverty and disease.
Our blogs move us in circles, overlapping with other bloggers. They challenge us to think differently. They comfort us by letting us know we are not alone.
I write a blog post after my daughters are asleep at night. My posts generally reflect a moment during the day that struck a cord with me. As a result, my blog is not light-hearted or humorous, but a tad bit on the serious, introspective side. It may not create many ripples in the blogosphere, much less in the world. It doesn't have to, but could I make it do more?
I don't look at my blog with the goal of changing the world, but I do write posts in an attempt to encourage others to think differently, to question the world around them.
What is your voice? What footprint are you leaving on your readers? What more could your blog do?
(If you'd like help in discovering your voice, please check out this series on voice.)
I'd love to know what waves your blog is making, so tell me in the comments!

3 comments:
As you know, I don't have a blog, but, enjoy reading others and commenting on occasion. I enjoy your serious comments as well as the lighter ones, gives us balance and perspective.
If I ever start a blog, I'll come back to these tips, thanks for sharing.
I don't know what my inner voice is. I really don't.
But I can see yours clearly, so perhaps it comes naturally, without planning.
I really enjoy this series Kim, thank you for taking the time to write them up!
I think this is why (I just realized this) I don't write posts in advance. My best voice comes in the moment, when I sit down to write the blog post, whether at the end of the day or first thing in the morning. Knowing that hitting "publish" is in the near future, it helps me think about and visualize you (the collective you) more. When I can imagine you sitting there, reading my post, I'm able to connect with my voice. And my voice is a lot of things. Sometimes funny, sometime serious, sometime "what's the-lesson-here?"
Post a Comment