Thursday, June 30, 2011

A Pet Peeve

It's Writer's Workshop today from Mama's Losin' It! 


Writing Prompt #4- Name a pet peeve you have about how other parents raise their kids. Go on…stir the pot.

I try not to grumble or bemoan other parents; I've got enough on my plate - I'm not the perfect mom, so who am I to criticize. But as my children get older, I realize they are getting impacted more and more by other children and how those children's parents raise their kids. Yes I feel like a Mama Bear at times, wanting to protect my children, but at other times I give my children much space to let them figure out how to handle situations on their own (as long as it is clear they are safe).

Nevertheless, a pet peeve of mine has come to the battlefield recently and it's time I wrote about it. For some odd reason, every time I blog about something I am stewing about I feel so much better afterwards. Blogger is my own personal therapist.

The Pet Peeve: parents who give in to their children ALL the time to a point where they are babied, given the keys, and held on a pedestal.

Like I said, I'm not perfect. There have been a handful of times I have given in to one of my daughters to appease their crying or distract them from a meltdown, but I can count these times on one hand. I'm also not the strict, wrist-slapping nun who doesn't give children an inch (my mom grew up with teachers like these, not a mom - my grandma was a wonderful mother).

There's a boy my daughter plays with occasionally, and he just turned four. He pushes her. He rolls his eyes at me. He cries for every toy at every moment. He whines until he is held like a baby. And his mom gives in to his every whim. I don't know if there are special circumstances, so I can only say this here, once. But it irks me that he is so spoiled and so allowed to hurt others to get his way. I leave, with my daughter, feeling peeved.

We may be at a playground , the play area at the mall, the library, the grocery store... it happens everywhere. Parents giving in to fussing children. I've been there and done that. Children fuss in public and sometimes we just have to mollify them. Sometimes we don't.

But it is in our homes or in preschool, a place where the children are comfortable and at ease, those are the places where babying ill-mannered, aggressive children really bothers me.

Phew! I feel horrible steamrolling parents who do this, but it does help to write about it. I bite my tongue around these children and their parents. My daughters and I simply walk away  rather than deal with it.

So I apologize if this post offends anyone. Writing this probably helps me so I don't actually one day just let go and blow up in front of one these parents.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I understand exactly where you are coming from. Don't ever move to Germany! Lol. The thinking there is whoever reaches the top of the pile is king. The parents they do not interfere. At. All. I saw a boy blatantly push a girl off a ride on toy while mom watched and the girl cried. She shrugged her shoulders and went back to her coffee. I always had to watch like a hawk to make sure kids weren't bullying my son (which eventually happened at school, where the school did nothing to stop it).

I've given in to my son, I'm sure it looks that way at least. But he had certain issues so I have to adapt the way I do things. Parents who watch while a kid dumps an entire box of cereal on the floor then laugh and say Jimmy's such a cutie, yeah, that BUGS me!

K said...

Yikes, thanks for the heads up about Germany, especially since we're hoping our next tour with the Navy will be in Europe somewhere. I'm glad I'm not alone in feeling this way. Thanks Andrea for your support :)

Unknown said...

I do not have children of my own, but I am blessed to have some great kids in my life. I agree with you. I have friends whose kids I love being around and friends whose children make me avoid spending time with them. Every child has their moments, but when the parents enable the bad behavior constantly it isn't pleasant to be around them.

christina said...

once when my BIL, sister and i were talking about things around their kitchen table, something about not having a lot when we were kids came up and my sister literally said that that is why her kids will have everything. and she meant it. today her 25yo son can't even pay his own cell phone bill and her 21yo daughter has a 5yo son. she gave them everything, they took everything and now they think they're owed everything and then some. it's very frustrating to watch. and sad. (thanks for your comment on my blog, btw!)

Jessica said...

I give into my children sometimes, but usually when we are in public because I want to avoid a huge scene. At home though, I don't give in too easy - or at least I try not to.

Copyright 2011 Zook Book Nook | Designed by: NW Designs