Unsolicited Advice I've Received Since Becoming a Mom
1. Your baby should have a hat on! It's misty outside.
2. You shouldn't be breastfeeding your girl still, she's 17 months and there's absolutely no benefit to it.
3. Your child isn't colicky, she just isn't being held properly.
4. Why do you need help after your second baby (born via another c-section) arrives? You're a stay-at-home-mom, so do your job, it's easy.
5. You should really carry your baby on your back in a sling, not in the front.
6. Have your girls wear dresses while potty training, it's easier to sit down (yes, but harder to get them to pull their dresses up in the back so they don't fall into the potty!)
7. Puree your baby food, so much easier.
8. Give your baby finger food from the start so they learn to gum on it.
9. Your daughter should go to X pre-school, the teachers there run a tighter ship.
10. Don't buy your daughter any clothes before she starts a new school year. Wait for her to see what's in fashion and then buy all of those clothes for her.
Here's some advice I wish I had received:
1. Buy those large toys (jumperoo, exersaucer, sit 'n spin, etc) at a consignment shop.
2. Wait to buy baby clothes until the baby is born. (Our 10 pounder didn't fit in all of the newborn outfits we had.)
3. Your child might by colicky and that is why she is crying all night long and all day long.
4. Your child might be colicky, because she doesn't spit up ever, doesn't fart and seems to have terrible gas pains.
5. Your digital camera also has a video option (something I didn't discover until my 2nd daughter was over 1 year old).
6. Try harder to let a babysitter watch your children when they are younger, you and your husband need the time together.
7. Having two under the age of two is challenging, but it doesn't last forever.
8. There is nothing that can help the lack of sleep, but it doesn't last forever.
9. That pain in your heart when your children start to grow up and become independent, that may last forever.
10. Make time for yourself now, so you don't get completely lost in the mommy world and find it difficult to find yourself when you finally do start to have that free time.
So, what unsolicited advice have you received or didn't but wish you had?
2 comments:
Hi Kim, I think this is a great 'assignment' to get back into blogging. I too, love lists!
I think both your lists are fabulous. The funny thing is, some of the unsolicited advice comes from people who don't have children! I was told when my son was 1 month old, that I shouldn't be taking him out of the house at all. What??
I wish someone had told me that it's OK to feel overwhelmed some days, and it's OK to say so. It took me a while before I could admit I am not supermom!
I agree so much with what you said! I'm still trying to find my voice sometimes to say "I'm overwhelmed" and perhaps more importantly, "I need help." :)
Post a Comment