Thursday, May 26, 2011

4a.m. Again and Again

Starting My Day Over, One Minute At a Time

I repeat the a.m. hours
over and over.
It's 4a.m. I wake
to crying, fussing girls
I roll over and get up
on the wrong side of the bed.
By 5a.m. they've eaten
toaster strudels
eggs
strawberries
smoothies
and now they want pancakes.
By 5:05a.m. Dora is on
God help me
I scream
(in my head)
Let's do this over.
It's 5:52a.m. my patience
has evaporated
I cry in the mirror
at my tangled hair and clown dark eyes.
Shower? Shower?
Big sister is crying,
Little sister bit.

Oh my God,
It's only 7:32a.m.
We've done everything already,
the coloring,
TV,
Play-Doh,
books,
toys.
Okay wait,
the playground,
surely we won't wake
our neighbors up.

I am on my second piece of chocolate and close my eyes.
Fantasize.
Starting Over.

I wake up
It's 6a.m. refreshed
Girls sleep in until 7a.m.,
no let's make it 8.
I drink some tea,
check my email,
write and hear the birds outside.

I start my day over and over
and over again in my head
until I roll over on the right side of the bed
Now I have the smiles and patience
for this long day ahead.

Hey, it's already 9a.m.
Almost Nap Time!

4 comments:

Bruna said...

Wow, your girls wake up super early!!!!! I feel for you Mama:)

Jackie said...

Oh my goodness, I don't know what I would do if my son woke up that early!

K said...

We've tried everything to get our girls to sleep in more. The youngest wakes up somewhere between 4 and 4:30, unless she is sick and then it is 5. We've finally gotten our older daughter to sleep until 5:30 most mornings, but not all :) I used to be a morning person, waking up at 5:30 naturally, but this 4a.m. thing has pulled the rug out from under my feet!

Anonymous said...

I love this prose poem! It's just like what happens in my head most of the time. hehehe

(PS. thnx for stopping by my blog earlier too!)

Copyright 2011 Zook Book Nook | Designed by: NW Designs