Monday, September 21, 2009

I've Got a New Way to Walk

I can't get this song (from Sesame Street) out of my head! HELP!!





My toddler loves this video, but after watching it for a few days on a DVD she moved on. Me, however, it's been over two weeks now and I can't get it out of my head. I sing it. I hum it. Today at the grocery store I just started belting it out and my toddler was in the next aisle over with my hubby!

The song is fitting for my daughter, because she recently upgraded her walk to a "swing the bum bum prance" because it adds more bounce to her recently purchased tutu.

Watching my daughter reminds me of teenagers who also change their walk. Some put so much effort into it that I wonder if it ever becomes a natural rhythm for them or if they have to focus all the time on their step.

Do we continue to develop new ways of walking during our entire life time?

It appears the answer is yes. My 3 month old baby weighs about 17 pounds now. Whether she is in the sling or in my arms, my body curves around hers and I 'know' a hump is growing on my upper back even though I don't see one. I hunch over supporting her weight and my toddler on my hip and yes, my walk is like a hunchback sidesaddle camel.

Perhaps this is why the lyrics to "A New Way to Walk" are stuck in my head: I need them. The song is uplifting as it reminds me to walk with sense, confidence, and a feeling of joy.

So if you see a mom carrying a tutu-hip swinging toddler on one hip and a butterball bundle of baby in a sling and that mom is singing "I got a new way to walk. WALK. WALK. I got a new way to walk. WALK. WALK..." please just smile at her and don't chuckle too loudly after she passes you. Some day her walk will change again!

4 comments:

Shelly said...

LOL I remember that song! It does stick in your head. I remember when my son was little and into Veggie Tales; I'd walk around with "Oh where is my hairbrush" stuck in my head all day.

Corey Schwartz said...

OMG. I totally went through that. I got a new way to walk.. walk.. walk. SO catchy!

Anonymous said...

hum, I haven't heard that song yet...but there are a few others stuck in my head. And just to make you laugh...when peanut was a baby, I had to put her car seat in the shopping cart b/c I couldn't see over her to zip through the store...I would talk to her all the time about what we were doing, and people would just stare at me...until a lil ol lady came over and peaked her head inside the cart..."o' there is a baby in there, I thought you were talking to yourself"..needless to say for months people thought I was talking to myself and going crazy...well crazy maybe, but I was definatly talking to a smiling peanut.

Unknown said...

I can't think of a better walk to take than with your two beautiful daughters close by!

Copyright 2011 Zook Book Nook | Designed by: NW Designs