Saturday, September 19, 2009

Comments Carry the Story

Holy Smokes. I knew dooce.com was a famous blog by a mom, but 2086 comments and counting on a single post! Wow, that's some number.

I love reading comments on the blogs I visit. They highlight key parts of the blog, interpret the post in a new light, shed some insight on the comment writer's own blog or personality, and carry the story of the original blog post in new directions.

But 2086 comments, that's a lot to read! I tried and found myself getting lost in many different threads from people commenting on each other's comments.

What do comments mean to you? Do you read them in the blogs you comment on? Before or after you write a comment?

5 comments:

Ginny Marie said...

I usually do read the comments before I make my own comment, so that I know that I'm not writing something that 10 people already wrote before me! I also have discovered some great blogs when I have gone on to read a commenter's blog.

Anonymous said...

I love reading the comments, getting them, and writing them, it makes things more personal. Plus, as Ginny said, you can discover a lot of really neat blogs you otherwise may not have known about.
Have a great weekend.
NLSM

Kim said...

I have to admit that if there are a lot of comments, I usually don't read them. The exception might be a really provocative post with a controversial topic, when I might be interested in reading what people think. But I did read yours, GM and NLSM!!

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I will read the comments on other blogs, usually after I comment. It really depends on what the post was about. I do read every comment people leave for me though :)

I have never been to (nor do I plan to) visit dooce's blog. Too much hype.

Anita said...

I like getting comments on my posts, and I respond to them. I would love to have too many comments; it would feel like a big discussion on a particular topic.
When reading other blogs, I skim the comments before writing mine, just because I'm curioius to see if I share similar feelings with anyone else.

Copyright 2011 Zook Book Nook | Designed by: NW Designs