Sunday, August 16, 2009

Once Upon a Heroine

We have enough children's books in our house to fill up at least two bookcases, maybe three. I'm addicted to them. My toddler loves them. Even my baby gazes at them occasionally as she bobbles her head looking around the room.


A few of my daughter's books, however, bother me and I wish we had never bought them. They are far from empowering my daughter in the direction I'd like. One book describes picking out the perfect dress to impress a prince. A second book chronicles the 'struggle' of a lady planning a party in order to make her husband happy. A third is all about looking great by using makeup to please the hubby.


These books sent me on a search and this is what I found:


It's great! It lists fantastic books, many of which I've never read, for girls of different ages. The titles are listed with descriptive paragraphs about the book.

So if you have a daughter and find yourself wishing for more appropriate books to guide her into becoming a heroine, I recommend this book!

7 comments:

Heather said...

Thank you so much for this recommendation! Growing up, I just relied on my mother and grandmother for book suggestions. Then I had to take my best guess at what other books I might enjoy. In the 20 or so minutes since I read your post I went online to try and buy it. Sadly, it is not sold directly from Amazon.com, but I was able to get a new copy from Amazon marketplace.

JS Huntlands said...

Set in today’s day and time, Me and My Best Friend is about a young boy, his faithful companion and their exciting adventures.

Henry and Liam are the best of friends and they do everything together. They can run and play all day long. But when Henry the puppy gets tired and tries to take a nap, three-year-old Liam keeps waking him, wanting him to play some more. Will Henry get any rest?

Get your children involved with this beautifully illustrated book. Your child will love to match up words and pictures, and find Liam, who keeps hiding in his bedroom. Perfect for the young reader!




About the Author

J.S. Huntlands is the author of Nick Twisted Minds and is currently working on more books in this series, as well as 23 more books in the Me and My Best Friend series. Huntlands is a full-time writer, as well as a mom to a wonderful four-year-old boy. This book is dedicated to her son in hopes that he never forgets his best friend.

Corey Schwartz said...

Does she have The Paper Bag Princess? That's a cute one.

Unknown said...

These all look like great books! Wow, I've been away from children's lit for a while now and I find it quite sad that all of this has to start so young with our poor young girls these days!

Thanks for posting this!

Anita said...

I, too, tend to notice books that present girls as docile, domestic, and pretty. I always have to "explain" these type books if we come across such a storyline. While I want my three daugters to enjoy their femininity, I definitely try to keep them from feeling that being girly does not prohibit the full function of their brains, strength, and ambition.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to have to check that out. So far we've avoided any of the Disney princess items as she far prefers Thomas the train :)

re the coffee catalog - www.greenmountaincoffee.com

K said...

I'm glad my chance encounter with this book at the library and posting about it in my blog has helped those of you who are searching for more books for girls! Corey, I love The Paper Bag Princess, and I've given it away as a gift many times but don't own a copy of it. But my parents just bought it for my toddler, so I'm excited to read it to her.

Copyright 2011 Zook Book Nook | Designed by: NW Designs