Writing is a never-ending adventure for me, because each time I sit down to write I embark on a new quest. Sentences connect in new ways. Stories unfold in new territories. My writing style itself may take on a new form.
Parenting is a lot like this. Although cleaning up spit up and changing diapers doesn't provide much variety, the day to day events offer new insights and new memories that are unique with each child.
For example, yesterday I posted about being happy when my two daughters wake up so we can start our day together.
Unlike the day before that involved preparing breakfast for my toddler and nursing my newborn and letting our dog outside, yesterday started much differently: my older daughter threw up twice (once all over both of us as I held her until she stopped and the second time all over the kitchen floor, which thrilled my dog who is a scavenger, but didn't thrill me as I tried to hold my newborn, comfort my toddler, and push the dog out of the way as I mopped up the mess. Whew!), my newborn wouldn't fall asleep in the usual rooms where I can watch my toddler but preferred the dark quiet corner of the cool dining room, and my dog wouldn't go outside to pee or poop but just stood at the back door barking his head off until I let him back in.
Like writing, parenting has its exciting moments of new adventures, some times a bit messier and smellier, but growing moments. We all survived and that's what matters!
2 comments:
Boy do I remember those days. They often seem like they will never end, then before you know it your kids are 28 and 30!
Phew! Hope things have calmed down a bit. It's amazing how one minute all is calm and then the next all heck breaks out. Have a lovely 4th of July. I can totally relate.
Regards,
Donna
Children’s Author
Write What Inspires You Blog
Donna M. McDine’s Website
Post a Comment