After only two full days in the hospital after giving birth to my daughter Grace via c-section, my doctor and her doctor determined we were both fit to return home! As happy as I am to be back home with my toddler and husband, these initial days of recovery after surgery are rough. But seeing my older daughter kiss and touch our baby makes it all worth it. I missed Ayla so much during my time in the hospital.
Being home again also means I can write again! But writing can only occur in 3 to 5 minute segments of time, because my feet are still swelling and my carpel tunnel in both hands has not gone away. But I'd like to try and write about my experiences as a second-time-around mom, because each moment with my two daughters is beautiful yet challenging, rewarding yet exhausting, simple yet complex!
When my older daughter, Ayla, first met her younger sister the moment was full of love and gentleness. After a few minutes, Ayla decided that her sister could join our family by saying "baby home" (meaning 'let's bring this baby home with us'). Since then Ayla has showered her baby sister with kisses, touches, and attention.
But as I begin my second day at home Ayla is starting to show signs that she wants her mommy back, the mommy who had all the time in the world to give only to her. It's challenging trying to show Ayla that I can't pick her up (for four weeks due to the surgery), that I need time to nurse her baby sister, and that Grace will be in my arms when I'm interacting with Ayla.
Now Ayla has begun to say "bye-bye baby" (meaning 'I don't want the baby here'). She still is fascinated with her baby sister and loves to cuddle with her, but the initial moment of awe has transitioned into realization.
Thankfully my parents are here to help. Right now they are at Target with Ayla and Grace is napping, so I have time to write about my first and second day back at home! I hope in time a routine will be established for Ayla and Grace, so they can both be happy and receive as much attention and time from me as I can give them.
Thank you everyone for your words of encouragement! I'd love to hear about your initial days as moms back at home with one or more little ones running around! I'm trying to spend as much time alone with Ayla as possible, but I also want to include Grace in these moments so Ayla can learn how to interact with her.
8 comments:
Good luck to you and your new baby! It is hard to manage a toddler and a newborn, and Im happy for you that you have such supportive family.
Take it easy and get lots of rest.
Thank you for sharing your life with us in such short time!
Aggie
http://nocturnal-intellect.blogspot.com
Congratulations, Kim. I'd been waiting to hear the good news. Enjoy every blissful moment.
:) Christina
How wonderful. Enjoy. Rest as often as possible. Let your folks do everything for now, that's what they are there for.
My daughter was two and a half when our son came home, so we could explain things to her a little better. But the challenge I personally had was that I was so concerned that she was getting the attention she needed, that she knew I still loved her, that she still knew how important she was, that it actually took a few days before I started bonding with my son. *phew* I've never admitted that before. I guess my point is that bringing a new baby home is wonderful, magical, terrifying, challenging, beautiful, and stressful...whether it's your first or your fourth. It will smooth out and they will find their way as they develop their own unique and special relationship. In the meantime, enjoy those quiet moments! And my best to you and your family.
Stephanie
www.thebeautificationproject.wordpress.com
Oh Kim - Grace is precious!! Congratulations!!!! I hope you heal quickly. Enjoy, enjoy!
Judy
Kim,
Congratulations!!! We moms all know what a whirlwind it is when you get back from the hospital. My two are 18 months apart and my son did the same thing. After about a week, he said to my daughter, "Bye, bye, baby Ally. You go to da hospital now." He wanted her to go back where she came from. And he meant it! The jealously thing is totally normal. I think that by including Ayla as much as you are, she will realize all the things she can do to help as the "big sister." Try to get some rest. I remember falling asleep while nursing but it's the best thing ever. What a gift Grace is getting. Best wishes!!!
Hi Kim,
What a nice picture. I sent something in the mail today for you. I can't believe they kicked you out of the hospital after two days! Around here you get 4 for a C-Section. Well, I can't lie to you, I thought the first couple of weeks with two plus a newborn were really rough. Okay, make that first couple of months, or half of a year. :) It sounds like you have help and support, and that makes a huge difference.
Post a Comment