My TGIFs of the week. . .
If could be a guru about something, it would be having the ability to communicate with all animals. My hubby asked me a few days ago, "What would you choose: being able to converse in all human languages in the world or being able to communicate with all animals?" He chose people, I chose animals. What does this say about me? Us?
If I had one line that could "hook, line, and sinker," then I might have had more dates in my early years. Instead I was a shy, quiet bookworm, preferring time alone since any time I opened my mouth around boys I said something that was too serious, too deep, too real for them, according to my girl friends who had lots of lines to hook, line, and sink the boys. Fortunately my time alone helped me become the woman I am today, the woman my husband loves, so I feel lucky that my "what if" imaginings as a young woman never came true.
If I had been born in a different country, I would be most likely bilingual, maybe even multilingual. After living in Costa Rica for some time, I became fluent in Spanish. But my fluency is diminishing every day spent in the absence of conversations in Spanish.
I had all the best intentions of teaching my daughter Spanish when she was born, but that went out the door as I found it exhausting trying to communicate in Spanish with her. My pregnancy-brain swapped itself for mom-brain, and I've never quite gotten back my pre-pregnancy-mom brain. (Getting back to my pre-pregnancy-mom weight is challenging enough! Once again I have gained 50 lbs. during this pregnancy despite exercising every day and eating a lot healthier.) Sigh.
About 60-75% of people in the world are bilingual. The U.S. is a melting pot for cultures and languages, yet the majority of people I know speak only one language. Will my daughter's generation experience a growth in bilingualism with the spread of globalization?
Now it's your turn!
Below are five "What if" statements for your choosing! After you respond to one on your blog, be sure to post your blog URL in Mister Linky below so we can read what you wrote!
Thank Goodness IFs:
(1) If I could rewrite a story in the news this week. . .
(2) If I could be a guru about something, it would be. . .
(3) If I could have recorded on camera one moment this week. . .
(4) If I had been born in a different country, I would be. . .
(5) If I had one line that could "hook, line, and sinker" . . .

5 comments:
This is great! Thanks for starting this...hope you don't mind if I become a somewhat regular!
I am the only one in my home who speaks Spanish and I am determined to teach my daughter, but it is exhausting. I have many relatives that only speak Spanish and I want her to be able to communicate with them.
I enjoyed your post.
Thanks for stopping by today Trudy and Unknown Mami! This TGIF post started me thinking about what I am thankful for, and being Memorial Day weekend there is a lot that comes to mind.
Hi Kimberly,
I love your "What ifs" and I'm trying to visit you but blogger is really freaking out on me, and has been for the past two days.
I'd love to live in a Hispanic country -- not sure why, but it appeals to me.
Post a Comment