Wednesday, March 4, 2009

A Writer-Mama's Mama


As a mother of a high-spirited toddler who has two speeds: fast and faster, I've had to learn how to let go in many moments that I would like to step in and help her. Fortunately she's always managed to hang on, sit down, slow down, or balance herself as I stand by biting my nails. There are times, however, when she needs to hold my hand or rest securely in my arms. When she does ask for help I am always there for her, and this reassurance seems to give her confidence to go on.


As writers, who holds our hand? Who picks us up or watches out for us as we cross a busy street? Who steers us in the right direction when we're heading towards the wrong destination? It's ourselves. And the mama inside of us is a big component of that.


My internal instincts have sharpened over the past 19 months since my daughter was born. My senses are more sensitive of the world around me. The gadgets in my mind are well-oiled to make better use of my free time to write. Yet despite all of this I still stumble along in my writing and have to pick myself up occasionally to keep pushing myself. The strength I've learned as a mother has helped me as a writer. By watching my daughter's determination and energy radiate from her little body, I am inspired to push through obstacles that before might have set me back days and pages.


In addition to ourselves, the writer community also helps us to plow ahead in tough moments. The Internet provides a wealth of discussion boards, critique groups, community blogs, and more where a writer might seek comfort and advice. Mentors also offer a helping hand if a writer seeks guidance from a more experienced writer.


In the end, however, it is still ourselves we must rely upon and believe in. As a writer-mama, my self expands to encompass my daughter since she is running around holding my heart in her hands. So her courage, her energy, her drive is a wave I ride as a writer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great blog, Kimberly! Your daughter is a sweetie-pie! And I love your comment about her "running around with your heart in her hands"

I also enjoyed the writer out of the box series, cool idea! Us moms do have to down shift to get our writing ideas out and on paper (that hasn't been drooled on!) Thanks for adding Writers Inspired to your blogroll.. I'll reciprocate!

Copyright 2011 Zook Book Nook | Designed by: NW Designs