Thursday, May 1, 2008

Routine Creativity

We've discovered that our high-spirited baby thrives on routine! Our day is full of repetitive cycles: nurse, read, play, eat, play, nurse, nap, repeat. I feel like my mind is just a machine that rewinds and plays over and over again; much to the joy of my daughter.

With the arrival of nap time, a whole hour of time to write if I'm lucky, I suddenly have to flip the switch to turn on my creativity. The trouble, however, is in finding it. I try recalling the images and text of the many children's books my daughter and I read this morning. The stories float through my mind, but they don't seem to take on a life of their own with my imagination. Perhaps creativity will come to me if I work on the outline of my young adult novel, but again that's more of a routine exercise.

Suddenly, I realize that writing this blog is my springboard into creative thinking. It gets my mind to release its hold on patterns, routines, conformity. Now I can begin to brainstorm and generate ideas for my writing. Is this the purpose of my blog afterall?

1 comment:

Mary Witzl said...

Ooh, I remember those days! I can remember how wonderful it all was, but the exhaustion I felt is like the pain of labor -- a distant and fading memory.

That is the purpose of my blog. While I'm procrastinating or trying to think of a way to deal with character development or an out-of-control plot or whatever, I work on a blog post or visit others' blogs. And invariably I find inspiration. I always tell myself that even if I don't, I'll still be reading and writing. And having fun.

Copyright 2011 Zook Book Nook | Designed by: NW Designs