The human heart is one of our most fascinating organs, even down to the level of individual cells from the heart. When isolated from one another, cells from a human heart continue to beat but they are not in sync with each other. It isn't until they are closer to each other that they start to beat in rhythm with one another.
As a mother and a writer, I am still learning how the two can beat in sync with each other. Often when I am holding my daughter in my arms, my mind is sketching out an outline of a new story that I wish to tell her as well as write down on paper. When I am writing, such as now, part of my mind is still focused on my baby who is taking a nap in the room next to my office. How is she doing? What position is her body in? Is she breathing okay?
My individual writer mind and mother mind are not separate entities, yet I don't always feel like they are beating together in rhythm. Sometimes when I am writing, I long to be playing with my daughter instead. Sometimes after I've spend over an hour trying to get her down for a nap, I find myself dreaming of living in the rainforest so I get the description of it correct in my novel.
My writer-self and mama-self do come together harmoniously, beating in rhythm together, at times, such as when I'm writing a book I want my daughter and other children to enjoy. She is at the center of my thoughts, and because of her I think (I hope) I'm becoming a better writer.
Now on to my story...
No comments:
Post a Comment