Friday, October 4, 2013

The Things We Ask

I often catch myself 'telling' my daughters...

Please pick up your room.
Eat your peas.
This is the third time I've 'asked' you to get your shoes on this morning.

With all of this telling I begin to wonder what I ask them...

Did you go potty yet?
What would you like to drink, milk or water?
It's time to leave for school, where are your shoes?

The majority of our day is filled with these basic telling and asking statements.
Shouldn't it be filled with more thought-provoking ideas and questions?
Shouldn't I be framing their growth: mental, emotional, spiritual?

Maybe it's no wonder when I turn to my writing and find myself struggling to dig deep into the characters and carve out a unique plot.

Maybe life is just too simple minded, at the moment.

Before I know it my girls will be 13, 15, and 17, and then I'll be missing the simplicity of statements like "Make your bed" and "Did you wash your hands?"

2 comments:

Anita said...

My girls are 13, 15, and 17! I still have to ask the youngest if she's washed her hands when she begins digging into bags of food after school.

I'd like to tell you to prepare yourself for the teen years, however, there is no prep. You just have to go through it. :)

My kids are very tame, so no extreme misbehavior or disrespect; I am thankful.

What I "am" dealing with, is the go, go, go! Thankfully, the oldest is driving, but I am still in and out of the car SO much - much more than the toddler and elementary years when they tended to go to the same places.

Sooo, I'm too busy to miss anything from the past. I just like getting through the day. :)

Nadine Feldman said...

The thing that no one ever tells us is that a good bit of life is mundane.

My guess, though, is that in those so-called simple questions and statements, there is depth at times -- a smile, a pat on the shoulder, a glare of impatience. Tones of voice change with the same questions/statements. Their responses change depending on how much sleep they got the night before or whether one of them has a secret broken heart. Life may be hectic and crazy, with little time to imagine, but there are plenty of stories in these daily interactions!

Copyright 2011 Zook Book Nook | Designed by: NW Designs