As a little girl, I missed him when he traveled for work.
I worried he would have a heart attack like his father did when my dad was in his early 20's.
As I grew older, I missed sharing moments together on the softball field, on long car trips to soccer tournaments, and sitting around the kitchen table playing games.
But now my dad is in heaven, and I miss him deeper than I have ever missed anyone in my life.
So I sit here, trying to wrap my brain around this Monday Listicle: 10 Things I Would Miss If I Died Today and 10 Things I Won't Miss If I Died Today (from The Good Life and Nora Ephron).
I wonder what my dad is missing, if we truly experience the feeling of loss in heaven. My own list is going to be heartwrenching to create and write, because after sitting beside my dad as he took his last breath I know how close we all are to death, how short this life here on earth is.
10 Things I Would Miss If I Died Today
1. Watching my oldest daughter dance to her music from India and run up to me at the end for a big hug.
2. My second daughter's warm hug that makes me feel as if I am basking in sunshine.
3. My youngest daughter's sweet warm breath and soft caresses of her fingertips.
4. My husband's strong, supporting hugs and the sound of his voice filling up our home with joy.
5. Knowing the women my daughters will one day become.
6. Growing old with my husband.
7. Sunsets and the falling of leaves in the fall.
8. The comforting sound of my mom and sisters' voices.
9. The hum of God in nature that flows into me when I see the branches of trees move in the wind.
10. The hope I see in people, everyday, despite the struggles we go through as a species on earth.
10 Things I Won't Miss If I Died Today
1. Facebook (I haven't missed it one day since I deleted my account)
2. Clutter (I wish I could figure out how to have less in my home)
3. War
4. Human trafficking
5. Bullying
6. Cancer
7. Cell phones
8. Impatience (me included)
9. Long lines
10. Shopping
11 comments:
Wonderful lists! Your list of things you will miss made me a little teary-eyed. I'll miss a lot of the same things.
The hope I see in people--oh my you just made be tear up. Beautiful list.
Hope-yes!! That and love us all we really need. I know I tell you this all the time: you are such a beautiful writer.
Your list choked me up, but this one in particular: "Knowing the women my daughters will one day become."
Very thoughtful and thought-provoking list. Ellen
I too would miss my family if it was my last day here.. really loved reading your list.
This was beautiful. I'm sure the thing your Dad misses the most is you.
Lovely lists. SO full of sweet emotion.
You had me tearing up!!! So sweet!!
I was just talking with Irishman about clutter today. If it doesn't have a home it finds one in the trashcan. Clutter makes me nervous.
Such a beautiful list!
I am forever battling the clutter. It is something I'd never miss, not one bit. And your "miss" list was absolutely divine!
You list off things you would miss was spot on. Change your middle and youngest to boys and you would nearly match my perfect list Kimberly.
Post a Comment