Monday, June 18, 2012

Brain, Child... I'll Miss You

When I created a digital literary magazine, The Motherhood Muse, that focused on nature and motherhood, I had my favorite motherhood literary magazine (Brain, Child) in my heart. The quality of writing in Brain, Child made me hunger for more. After publishing four issues of The Motherhood Muse I had to shut it down as I couldn't break even with the costs, but I happily continued reading Brain, Child.

And now I am sad to find out in The New York Times article "The End of Brain, Child Magazine," that Brain, Child's last issue is the Summer 2012 issue.

They are handling it all with grace as they are making plans to continue publishing in the form of books and by writing a heartfelt message to its readers. And if you are like me, with a subscription set all the way until Winter 2013, Brain, Child is transitioning the remaining subscription time to three different possible magazines of our choosing on their website.

But it makes me so sad that I won't continue to see Brain, Child in my mailbox after this summer, because Brain, Child is one of those few magazines I really, really looked forward to getting. The kind that made me jump when I saw it in the mailbox. The kind that I curled up on the couch with and read it cover to cover, even the small details that in other magazines I tend to gloss over.

I know literary magazines struggle to make a go of it, especially those that specialize in a certain field. I loved creating, editing, and publishing The Motherhood Muse, but the interest in readership never grew like I hoped it would. I assumed everyone who wished to read creative writing about motherhood subscribed to Brain, Child and it would continue to flourish.

Thank you Brain, Child editors, publishers, writers and readers for so many insightful, thought-provoking, and enriching pieces of writing you have shared with us. We will miss you!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brain, Child is back!

Copyright 2011 Zook Book Nook | Designed by: NW Designs