Friday, May 25, 2012

Writers Digest West Conference

This is where I'll be the day before I turn 35! An early birthday present to myself.

I am excited, and nervous, for the Pitch Slam:

Practice pitching your writing and get immediate feedback at the Writer’s Digest Writing Conference Pitch Slam, an exciting and intense event that puts you face to face with agents who are actively looking for new writers to represent.

How it works

You’ll sit down for three-minute sessions with as many agents as you can fit into ninety minutes. For the first 90 seconds with each agent, you’ll describe what you’re writing and why you think it will be successful (that’s your pitch). For the second 90 seconds, the agent will provide immediate, unbiased feedback on your work and your pitch, including invaluable suggestions for improving it. And if an agent gives you his or her business card, jackpot! That’s a request to see more of your work, and could lead to signing with an agent and publication of your book.

Good thing I have my youthful 34 years from now until October to get me ready for this Pitch Slam!

Soon-to-be-posted: my first Pitch Slam in writing.



2 comments:

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

Like speed dating, only with this thing, you are finding a date for your book. That's all kinds of awesome. Three minutes should be plenty of time. I wish you luck.

Angie Mizzell said...

Holy moly! That made me exhausted just thinking about it. How exciting. Go girl! And we're both October babies.

Copyright 2011 Zook Book Nook | Designed by: NW Designs