Sunday, February 12, 2012

Love Beats

Here's a little flashback to Biology 101: When in isolation, the cells of our hearts don't beat in sync with one another. One sings "Da Dum Da Dum" while another chimes "Dum Da Dum Da." But bring these cells together and they start to beat in rhythm with the others.

Love is beating all around us, all around the world.
We are walking cells of the heart.

Are we beating in sync with one another?
Is love universal?

Whether or not my love is in sync with your love is not important.

What is important is that love is there, beating, pounding, crashing against the inner walls of our bodies, and ricocheting out of us and into the universe.

Tonight my two-year-old pointed to a star during our walk and exclaimed, "There's Papa!"

"Yes, Sweetie," I said. "That's Papa. Papa is all around us."

Love crosses that gap between Earth and Heaven, between the tick of time and the band of eternity.

So my Valentine's List of Love this year stretches into a realm where time and space are dimensionless...

Love is...
1. remembering only happy memories.
2. talking to my father in the stars.
3. feeling my grandfather's hand on my hand many months after he passed away.
4. placing the palm of my hand on my belly in response to the phantom kicks.
5. watching my daughters run around while holding my heart in their hands.
6. forgiveness and compassion.
7. living in the flow of nature's energy and God's great spirit.
8. letting my father go peacefully even though inside I was shouting "Stay! Wake up! Don't go!"
9. creating a life only to learn it left this world before having a chance to be born and having the courage to create another life.
10. knowing what matters: the smiles, the cuddles, the caresses, the kisses, the everything that makes my family.

For in the end, love is... we are... all that matters is... family.

Thank you to Stasha's Monday Listicles for bringing me up to the surface to breathe. Some day I hope to come back to blogging to read more blogs, comment on more blogs, and write on my blog. But for now, these lists are all I can do.



19 comments:

Stasha said...

How I love your writing and the way you look at the world. Love is what we give and hopefully it bounces back!! Beautiful.

Amanda said...

Absolutely beautiful.

Unknown said...

Love the end Love is ... we are...all that matters is family. Beautiful.

XLMIC said...

This. Is. Wonderful! I adore your "list of love" :)

Kate F. (@katefineske) said...

Wonderfully said Kim. (And such a nice surprise to see you both in my Reader AND here on Listicles! Happy Monday!)

Bridget said...

Lovely. We don't always think of love in these terms, but you are absolutely right:)

Cookie’s Mom said...

Beautiful, Kimberly. I don't have a new baby and yet much of the time, these lists are all I can do. It IS good enough. <3

Ado said...

I love how your 2 year old pointed to the stars and saw your Papa. 2 year olds are mystics, you know. (-:

Miss Marina Star said...

This was so well written and truly beautiful. What a wonderful way to look at love.

Natalie said...

This is really beautiful!

Jen said...

Beautiful, Kim. Glad to see you posting here and there.
Happy Valentine's Day!

Anna said...

This is so beautiful, I'm blown away by your list. You have a true talent for writing, I want to keep reading this over and over. Thank you for sharing this!

Jackie said...

Oh Kimberly, your piece was so beautiful. Made me tear up a bit, to be honest.

paul said...

What a great take on love. Can't add a thing to that.

AudreyN said...

Beautiful list!

Unknown said...

What a heartfelt post. You've described loved so very perfectly.

Megan Lally said...

Well said! That was really beautiful. :-)

I tagged you on my blog! Rules for the tag are posted there if you're up for a little fun. :-)

Anita said...

Stopping by to say hello. I hope you and your family are well and experiencing lots of love beats.

EnJoy, and get back to your blogging with the time is right.

Anita said...

Stopping by to say hello. I hope you and your family are well and experiencing lots of love beats.

EnJoy, and get back to your blogging with the time is right.

Copyright 2011 Zook Book Nook | Designed by: NW Designs