Monday, June 6, 2011

Multicultural Mothering

Last week I posted a list and review of some fantastic mother literature books. And today we traveling half way around the world to Japan to meet with Suzanne Kamata, editor of Call Me Okaasan from the Mother Lit List! Suzanne has been a very positive role model for me, and her encouragement has helped me to keep going and have hope.

I am so fortunate to have discovered Call Me Okaasan soon after its publication in 2009, because as a mom of a newborn as well as a toddler my world quickly became overwhelming. Motherhood took on a new meaning for me with two children under the age of two. I found this book to be like a bridge for me in that journey of learning how to be a mom to more than one child.

This book quickly expanded my impression of being a mother, because it connected me with mothers across the globe. It is extraordinary in its depth and diversity. And I am so honored to have Suzanne Kamata, the editor of Call Me Okaasan, here on my blog today!

1. Thank you Suzanne for being here today. Your anthology is an extraordinary feat as it connects mothers around the globe. How did reaching out to these writers and mothers across the world influence you as a mother and a writer?
 
Thank you, Kim. As I mentioned in the introduction, it took a little bit of effort to track down stories on mothering across cultures. But once I found some of these mother/writers, I realized that there were many others puzzling over the same issues of culture and language. I became even more convinced that there is a need for writing on these topics, and that I should continue writing about mothering in a multicultural family.
2. What role might multicultural parenting play as our communities and societies become connected on a more international level?
I like to think that multicultural families will someday form a bridge between monocultural familes. It seems as if there are still a lot of parents who don't understand the value of having their child learn a second language, or of understanding other cultures. Many Americans still seem suspicious of President Obama's multicultural background. I think it's good to have a connection to one's culture and community, but not at the expense of compassion for one's fellow world citizens.


3. As a well-published author, how have your books and being an author influenced your experiences of living in another country?
As an expatriate in Japan, I often fumble through my daily life. Even after twenty plus years of living in Japan, my Japanese isn't perfect, and I continue to make cultural blunders. Having had some success in writing gives me confidence that I might not otherwise have. It also allows me to feel connnected with the wider world, outside of the conservative farming commuity where I live. I think I might feel claustrophobic if I wasn't able to reach out via writing.


Also, since I write in English, I have a certain sense of freedom and privacy. If I write something personal, it may be read by many people on the other side of the world, but it won't change my children's classmates' parents' perceptions of me. My neighbors won't be offended.  

4. When it comes to multicultural parenting, what challenges do you see most parents facing across the globe?
Ignorance and prejudice among monocultural parents present the biggest challenge, I think. Also, some cultures are more dominant than others, so it's sometimes a little hard to convince kids that their second culture is worth keeping.  But thanks to the Internet, and to the increase in multicultural families, I think parenting across cultures will become easier. Or at least it won't feel so lonely!

Thank you again Suzanne!
You're welcome!


Suzanne has published some amazing books! Please check out her website to learn more about her as an author!

No comments:

Copyright 2011 Zook Book Nook | Designed by: NW Designs