Thursday, June 16, 2011

The Funks

We're back on west coast time.

Our puppy is recovering from surgery (spade and microchip).

My almost 4-year-old is going to preschool five days a week (I'm a wreck missing her).

My 2-year-old is starting to sleep in until 4:45a.m.

Only 4.5 months are left of my hubby's 6 month deployment.

And today I get to hear my baby's heartbeat.

Life is good, but I'm in a writing funk.

When I returned to blogging a few weeks ago, I quickly realized that one of the main reasons stemmed from loneliness. I miss my husband. I miss adult conversation. I miss communicating with writer mamas.

Then my daughters and I flew to MN to visit family. Being with family and adults for a week filled me up with comfort and the loneliness went away. I still missed my husband, but I wasn't so lonely. Coming home meant getting the house in order, my girls back on schedule, but now that that's done it has taken until today to bring me to my writing chair.

Funks happen. Writing funks are not like writer's block for me. Funks mean I have no motivation to even try to write.

The Funks

  1. I think I've been in an exercise funk for several years now. I used to work out 2-3 hours a day, but that all vanished when I got married. Why?
  2. I go through food funks, too. For weeks I will eat healthy (veggies, fruit, tofu, fish, grains, little or no meat) and then I'll splurge on the Oreos, pizza, butter, and rich desserts. Fortunately these food funks don't last for more than a few days. 
  3. I also get into my hermit funk occasionally. I'll close myself off to the world and internalize way too much. Socializing isn't easy for me, but I try to make myself do it as much as possible unless I'm in a funk.
  4. Cleaning. Oh, I'm so bored with this part of staying home. My funk lasts for a long time and then the piles of toys, clean laundry waiting to be put away, books and papers, etc all become too much and I clean for a few days straight.
I don't like the funks. I hate getting stuck in one, because it's hard to get out. What funks do you get into? How do you get out?

Well here I am, blogging this morning, so maybe I'm on my way out of my writing funk.

3 comments:

Alison said...

I've been in an exercise & healthy eating funk for a while. Sigh. Can't seem to get motivated.

At least you're writing!

Corey Schwartz said...

When I'm in a writing funk, I am to ramp up on reading! I feel like that develops writing skills in some indirect way, so I feel less guilty!

Anonymous said...

I think I get into all the funks you mentioned too. Definitely food and writing ones strike most often. Ive removed myself from the Internet a bit and instead of feeling more alone I've actually felt better. The best part about funks is for me, they don't last too long.

Copyright 2011 Zook Book Nook | Designed by: NW Designs