I'm thrilled to host author and illustrator Rachel Dillon on my blog today! She is currently on a blog tour for her breathtaking book Through Endangered Eyes: A Poetic Journey Into the Wild. Prepare to be dazzled by the beautiful illustrations, enraptured by the poetic writing, and inspired by her experiences as a writer-mama.Rachel began her blog tour at WOW! Women On Writing, and each day of her tour she's been offering different advice and details of her experiences as an illustrator and writer. Her unique illustrations are based on Australian Aboriginal acrylic dot painting, which you can find examples of in her gallery. Rachel is making a 5% donation of her book and art profits to the World Wildlife Fund and the Folsom Zoo Animal Sanctuary.
Rachel is here today to share with us her experiences as a writer and mother. Please enjoy what she has to share and answer the question at the end of this post in the comments sect
ion for a chance to win a free copy of Through Endangered Eyes: A Poetic Journey Into the Wild. I will choose a winner at random to be announced tomorrow on my blog, so please be sure to check back to see if you won so I can get your snail mail address!Q: Many writer-mamas find inspiration from their own children. When you began writing your poems your daughter was only six months old. How did she influence your writing?
Rachel: I was a career-path woman. I remember saying to my husband that there was no way I wanted to stay home and just be a mom and wife. And then my daughter was born. She
changed everything. There was no where I would rather be than with her. My life focus started to shift and I asked myself, "what do I love to do, and can I turn it into a job at
home?" All of the elements fit: painting, writing, children and animals. Being a new mom, I wanted to create about something I was passionate about and teach my daughter
to follow her heart and find a way to do what she loves.
Q: As you continued to develop the poems for your book over time, did your experiences as a mom influence your approach to poetry?
Rachel: You know, being a mom really did influence my approach with poetry. I have watched my kids as they learn new things and what captures their interest. I wanted to make
the poems fun to read, yet a little challenging for elementary age kids. I have hidden information in a simple way that stimulates the "why" part of a child's brain. It is so cool!
They really want to understand and aren't afraid to ask why. My kids have taught me where their language level is and how to break down words in different levels. I really took
time to look at difficult concepts, like a food chain, and try to explain it in a way that makes sense. I often tested out my book to see if my kids understood what I was
writing.
Q: Balancing writing with other aspects of life is quite a challenge for mothers. What has your writing schedule been like? How do you make time to write?
Rachel: I write at very odd times. The first draft of "Through Endangered Eyes," was written on scraps of paper in my car. I would be driving, after I dropped my daughter off at
daycare, and played with the poems out loud as I drove. Yeah, not the safest thing. I wish I had kept those scraps, they were hilarious, since I wasn't looking at what I was
writing they dribble down the page. I have always struggled with balance. I give my all at everything I do, and that includes being a mom. A deadline really gives me permission
to paint and draw. It forces me to make time for myself. Often times, I fit in my writing and painting after the kids go to bed, although I am tired, I get energized by the
creative process. On the weekends, I steel away a few hours as my kids have their own quiet time. I really try to be mobile with my writing, so that I can work where ever I am.
The painting is mobile too. If I am taking a trip, I take my canvas board and paints so that I can work. My kids seem proud to call me an artist.
Q: Your book will be a great educational tool for children. When developing the "For the Parents" and "For the Teachers" sections, what guided you to understand what the parents and teachers need to use this book for children?
Rachel: The "For the Teachers" section was guided by my mother-in-law, Kathy Richardson. She is a recently retired elementary school teacher of over 30 years. Her passion for
teaching and children's literature was highly influential on me. I took her idea for using measurement to show kids interesting facts about some of the animals in my book. It is
wonderful to hear the kids response when I roll out an actual California Condor drawing with a 9 foot wingspan. Kathy was the one that talked about all the different ways she
could apply my book in her classroom. I think teachers will appreciate her guidance!
The "For the Parents" section was created with ideas I have applied with my kids - or would like to in the future. Some ideas I researched on conservation Web sites; reviewing
educational materials at zoos; even a song from the Jack Johnson soundtrack of "Curious George," was inspiring.
Q: In the process of marketing your book by doing school visits, what are some of the key concepts you'll be teaching children?
Rachel: I want kids to understand there is a problem, but not feel that it is hopeless. I encourage them to learn more about the animals and talk about it with their family. I
have an activity for the kids when I visit. I roll out a full-size California Condor outline on paper. I give each child a paper feather, and tell them that one feather might
not seem like a lot, but combine that feather with all the feathers in the classroom, that they are helping to fill in. The little things combined make a difference in the
world.
Q: What feedback have you received from your children about your book?
Rachel: My son is five and when I ask him what it means for an animal to be endangered, his response is unwavering, "they are in trouble and there aren't many left." I think his
understanding of the problem tells me that my message is pretty clear. My daughter is now seven and she is filled with questions. She asks "why" for every poem and we talk about
them one at a time. They are excited to have me working on the next book and tell their friends it is on its way.
Q: Would you like to pass on any other advice for the writer-mamas who read this blog?
Rachel: My advice is to give yourself permission to write. We are all so busy trying to make everyones life easier, that we forget about ourselves. If you love to write, find a way to
do it; your kids will be happier, since you will be.
Thank you Rachel for sharing your inspirational experiences with us! Congratulations on the publication of your new book and we're looking forward to reading future books in the series!
For a chance to win a free copy of Rachel's book, please answer the following question in the comments section or feel free to just make any comment of your own: How do children influence your own writing and/or illustrations?
To read more about Rachel's experience in finding a publisher and getting published, Rachel will continue her blog tour tomorrow at Carolyn Howard-Johnson's blog: Sharing With Writers.
4 comments:
Sometimes I feel like my children are my lucky charm. With three children, all differnet ages and all with different interests, personalities, after school activities I simply have tons of material to work with. Simply watching them live their lives gives me ideas. People ask me how I come up with ideas for stories and articles. When you have kids it's like someone is tossing ideas at you all the time.
I have a daughter who would just salivate over this book. It's beautiful!
My kids inspire and ground me. They are the seeds that germinate into full-fledged ideas and stories that I write about.
I have one son who is nearly 10 and he influences everything I do. I don't have much time to write as I am a WAHM and trying to get our business off the ground, but I know that I have some great story ideas just from watching him!
Hi everyone! Wonderful comments. Being a busy mom is a tough job. It is great we all stop and recognize what inspirations we have from our children everyday. Thanks for letting me join you today!
Post a Comment